Thread: Stillwater Fishing at Crowley

Default Stillwater Fishing at Crowley

Just returned from a little fishing trip down Crowley Lake way. Fished three days with Ernie Gulley and had a great time.
    Ernie really knows these waters and works very hard to get you into fish. Fun to be around.
    Check his blog site for some pictures of our trip. Blog dated Sept. 12th.
    http://www.erniegulleyflyfishingguid...com/apps/blog/
    -
    - jerry
    Last edited by jerry from sac; 09-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.

I have always heard that September is a good month at Crowley.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Actually with most lakes in the area, September is good, but October can be GREAT!!!!!!!!

Usually go last week of October, with water levels what they are will see.

Been tubing/boating Crowley for 25 years. Fish are some of the hardest fighters you will ever get into.

Not leader shy.

Usually at this time of year I don't mess with anything less than 10-14 lb..

Bill , you herd right. Crowley is great sept & oct. great time for stripping a fly. I will be up in Mammoth
    First wknd in October .

Quote Originally Posted by jerry from sac View Post
    Just returned from a little fishing trip down Crowley Lake way. Fished three days with Ernie Gulley and had a great time.
    Ernie really knows these waters and works very hard to get you into fish. Fun to be around.
    Check his blog site for some pictures of our trip. Blog dated Sept. 12th.
    http://www.erniegulleyflyfishingguid...com/apps/blog/
    -
    - jerry
    Jerry, thanks so very much for the kind words. I too enjoyed our time together on the water. It was a pleasure to hear about you many different fly fishing adventures you have had around the world.

I also enjoyed showing you what Crowley Lake has to offer and look forward to seeing you again soon.

As everyone who has responded above to this post is correct. The fishing gets better and better as the water cools and the fish start foraging like bears for everything they can eat. The strip bite is going strong as we speak. I fished a few days out of my boat in 4 to 5 feet of water just before dark and landed many fish in the 18"+ range while stripping clear intermediate and a size 6 hornberg pattern. The strip bite will only get better as we get later into the fall. The perch have no place to hid now that most of the weed beds are gone so its a free for all on the perch and chub minnows. I will not throw anything less than 2x to these fish. The fish and the takes are very aggressive and violent and will straighten your arm out. Don't forget to fully fish your offering all the way to the tube or boat. I have hooked many fish in the last two weeks with just my leader hanging in the water. Fish it all the way to the boat or tube the same fashion as you would at Pyramid Lake before you pull your fly out of the water. Fish patterns in size 2's and 4's or larger. You just might run into a brown in the 30" class.

Good Luck to everyone this Fall and hope to see you all on the water soon!
    I do love me some "Stillwater" fly fishing....Ernie

Ernie Gulley Fly Fishing Guide Service

(909)953-1770

Email: erniegulleyflyfishing@aol.com
    Web: www.erniegulleyflyfishingguideservice.com