Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What trout is this?

Default What trout is this?

Caught from a Yosemite NP lake at 10,600' isolated from other water bodies and not planted singce the 1920's. My guess is Lahontan Cutthroat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	7549  

Looks like a rainbow. I've seen them from that color all the way to dark blue-green back at those altitudes.

agree with bill. although i'm not great at this. But I definitely don't see the "cutthroat" markings. Either that's a sweet looking catch! Thanks for the post

Looks like a "Cutt" to me !!!

Maybe a dead trout.

That's a Golden/Rainbow hybrid. Much more common than you'd think, even in isolated lakes. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I say rainbow/golden hybred
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

I say nice fish...but keep him outta the dirt next time.

Ed, It does look like a Golden Rainbow hybrid. Historically the lake was planted exclusively with cutthroat but the subspecies unidentified. There were 2 faint yellow slashes under the gill plate. The lake is Hanging Basket Lake and it is just a bowl with steep banks and no feeder creek. outlet is through porous boulders and plunges to Townsley Lake Below. Were Golden/Rainbow hybrids reared in a hatchery or a natural event? The last time the lake was planted was the 1920s. The gravel you see below the fish is all which appeared suitable for spawning ground.

I'd say that there is certainly some cutthroat characteristics in it, based on your descriptions in your last post and the spotting pattern, especially near the tail. The source that I have says that the lake was planted with cutts, just as you said, but perhaps some rainbows or maybe even goldens got in the lake and what you caught is the result. There are natural golden/rainbow hybrids and they're called Kern River Rainbows and Little Kern Goldens, but that depends on which drainage you are fishing in. The whiteish stripes on the bottom of the ventral and anal fins of the trout in your picture makes me think that there is some rainbow or golden in its background, as cutts don't have that marking. Let's just call it a cuttbow...
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/