Thread: Seeking input on Intermediate fly line

Default Seeking input on Intermediate fly line

Hello all,
    Looking for input on which brand and sink rate density of intermediate line to get. Here's some background to help with the input. This is for a 5wt rod/reel set-up (10' rod) and will be fishing from a float tube in still water conditions targeting Trout. Looking for a line that's easy to load with average casting distance of 15' to 30' with low memory. As for cost...not a factor. Average depth of water fishing will be in the range of 12' to 15'. This would be my first experience purchasing an intermediate line...so, would like to make a good decision/selection and reaching out to the greater Kiene's Forum for input. Thank you!
    Fish in "stealth" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty@Landpark View Post
    Hello all,
    Looking for input on which brand and sink rate density of intermediate line to get. Here's some background to help with the input. This is for a 5wt rod/reel set-up (10' rod) and will be fishing from a float tube in still water conditions targeting Trout. Looking for a line that's easy to load with average casting distance of 15' to 30' with low memory. As for cost...not a factor. Average depth of water fishing will be in the range of 12' to 15'. This would be my first experience purchasing an intermediate line...so, would like to make a good decision/selection and reaching out to the greater Kiene's Forum for input. Thank you!
    10' rod and only casting 30'? So does that mean only 10 feet of fly line and 10' foot leader? Not very ambitious...

All ribbing aside, Cortland Clear Camo and Rio Camolux are great lines. I don't think you can go wrong throwing either (and out past 60-80 feet too!)

_SHig

I recently fished the new Rio In Touch Camolux Clear Camo, what a great fly line. But, you might want to go to a WF6I in either of the above lines also depending on type of rod you are using. If you have any more questions or would like to talk about it farther PM me.
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

I've used the Cortland Clear Camo with a lot of success. My only complaint is that it has a tendency to develop abrasion near the mid section after a lot of use. Could be my fault, however, in not thoroughly cleaning the line after every use.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

If you are looking to fish 10-15 feet of water, an intermediate is not a good choice. Intermediates were developed to fish in water up to @5-6 feet. You might want to check out the new Rio type 3 line. BTW, not all intermediate lines sink at the same rates. I tested out 4 brands in my pool and timed their sink rates to a depth of 5ft with a stop watch. The Airflo and Courtland both were close in their rates of sink and also the slowest. The SA was the next in sink rate and Rio's Aqualux the fastest. So what difference does this make? Well, if you are fishing very shallow Stillwater areas, a very slow sink is preferred. In moving water, a faster sinker 'may' be better. I actually fish two brands of intermediates on Fall River.

Fellow Kiene's Forum members, "Thank You" for taking the time and interest in responding to my post...and the "ribbing" is entertaining and taken in good spirit . From the many choices of intermediate line available, "your" suggestions greatly help to narrow the selection. What I'm gathering from the input is that there is likely not "one" intermediate line that will suit all conditions and like fishing rods...you need more than one. That said, sounds like I may have to get a couple extra spools and load two types of intermediate lines...such as the Courtland or Rio, and, the second with a bit faster sink rate for deeper water and or for trolling while propelling with fins on the float tube which simulates moving water. Any other suggestions/input for a good all around intermediate line are welcome as I'm about a week away from purchasing. Also, very receptive to any tips for maximizing the versatility of an intermediate line...like does it make sense to get the Cortland or Rio line and loop on a 7 or 10 foot lead leader for deeper water or moving water conditions as opposed to purchasing an additional spool and different sink rate intermediate line?
    Fish in "stealth" mode.

I carry a couple rods, 1 with a Rio Aqualux Int. (I use a 6wt line on a 9' 5wt rod and it loads nicely), 1 with a Type III, and 1 with a floater (that I almost never use). Getting an intermediate below 6feet takes a lot of patience.

BTW, I'm a horrible caster and I can throw the Aqualux 60' with no problem.
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman