Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for new Floating, WF fly lines

Default Recommendations for new Floating, WF fly lines

The number of different fly lines to choose from these days just overwhelms me! I want to upgrade my floating lines as well as my sink tips so I will start with hopefully the easiest, the WF floating lines. I have heard talk about super high floating, slick lines for casting etc. etc. My first line to purchase will be a 6 wt I will cast with my new Sage 9'6" VXP 6 wt rod. I will do nymphing with it for steelhead, and/or trout on the Lower Sac. What new fly lines should I consider for this rod with what is avaiable these days?Thanks for the help!
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

I only have experience with s/a mastery gpx and rio lines. I like the rio lines better. I would recommend the rio Atlantic salmon/steelhead line for your 6wt. It has good power and mends well when nymph fishing. That's what I have on one of my 6wt rods. Getting ready to switch out my indicator rod and my 7wt rod to this line.

I have been using a Rio Indicator line for steelhead, rainbow trout, and dolly varden here in AK. It is a great line on big rivers and small streams, and it works well for beads, nymphs, and swinging leeches.

RIO Indicator II is tailor made for what you're describing.

What is the difference between the indicator and indicator II? I have a 6wt indicator line that I took off my indicator rod because I found that rod casts better with a 7wt line.

Beefed up front taper for better turn over. MaxFloat tip technology. Improved rear taper for better mending and feeding.

Thanks to all for the advice on a good floating fly line. Sure sounds like the Rio Indicator II is what I need.
    Bluegrass and Beyond!

Don't be afraid to use the old line because that's what I have been using and they work.

Phil--Are you uplining with the indicator?
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

I made the mistake today of looking at a 2013 Rio Product Guide. A line that sounds like one I should consider is the "Rio Grand" line, specifically designed for fast action rods like my sage VXP. It says it is "a full line size heavier" It also has "Maxfloat Tip, MaxCast and Agent X" tecnology whereas the Indicator line has "agent X and extreme slickness" Technology. I am probably agonizing to much over this and i suspect the lines suggested as well as this " Rio Grand" product will all cast and mend well with my new rod.
    Bluegrass and Beyond!