Thread: TFO Mangrove Series

Default TFO Mangrove Series

I'm looking for a 7wt or 8wt. Has anyone had a chance to throw this new one? FWIW, I'm trying to replace a Sage XP. JOHN
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

John

I have the 8 and 9 wt mangrove. I used the 8 wt in baja and it can handle some of the toughest roosters in the small to medium size class. Of course, you better have some experience on handling mean fish on a lighter rod. My opinion

Jay

Thanx Jay. I'll not get a chance to throw one before/if I buy. The promo material seems to suggest it's less of a "tip-flex". I was really wondering where it fit--like an XP, or Xi2 or Scott S3S. Those I know.

John, will be interested in what you find out - at some point I'll be looking for 7 or 8 weight and I'm used to fishing with #5 & #6 weight XPs.

Steve

Steve, I think I'll be able to advise. As soon as I settle the Alaskan lodge fire loss w/the ins.co. 3 rods and 2 reels.

aw man I feel your pain. hope they settle fully and quickly!

I fished one of these rods recently. It was a 10wt lined with a Airflo sniper. Let me just say its been a LONG time since Ive been this impressed with a rod. This combo was laying out a 10" musky fly like it was #16 adams. I'll be getting one before next season.

John, I still don't have any insurance resolution but they say I might hear by the end of the week.

As far as the mangrove one of the guys on the recent Belize trip had an 8 and a 10. The 10 handled a 60# tarpon really well. I cast both and I really liked them. I don't really know what they cast like but I was fishing an Xi3 8 and and XP 8 wt and I could cast them all equally well. I cast them but did not fish them and easily cast maybe 75 feet in a slight wind from the front of the panga. We played around with them this summer too and if I really paid attention I could cast almost the entire line on both the 8 and 10. Of course when the fish indicator goes off I am lucky to get 35 feet. I think you will like them. Phil )

John

I used the Mangrove 8 wt in Belize a couple weeks ago. I definitely gave it the windy condition test. I was throwing a WF-9-F/I with a merkin crab attached. After spotting a couple permit (wading the flats) I decided to go with a low side arm cast. But quickly switched to an angled overhead cast. I didn't have any problems throwing into the wind. My only problem was I "missed" setting the hook on the permit. Well, there's always next year
    I can't remember what a Sage XP feels like

Jay