Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah: Provo and Webber Rivers

Default Utah: Provo and Webber Rivers

I'm heading to a wedding in salt lake the weekend of the 22nd and have a day to burn and was thinking of fishing the provo or the webber, both of which i understand to be good rivers. Does anyone have any recomendations for that area, or know of any guides they would recomend?

Thanks
    ~Jake

Trout Bum 2 in Park City has a guide service. We fished the Weber with them last year and had a really nice day

http://www.eddierobinsons.com

These guys are great.

www.goldmedalfishingguides.com
    The Provo is fishing well right now with daytime pmd hatches and evening caddis. The fish are healthy and willing to take well presented flies. Give us a call and we can book you a day trip that you won't forget! 800-826-5447

I've never fished the Webber, but if it's a weekend date, the Provo can get pretty crowded. It has a lot of easy drive in access and isn't a very large stream, just a heads up.

+1 what Kevin said...
    Exit 7

So we ended up driving on a whim since flights were 700 bucks a piece from sac to salt lake, and i needed a car anyway to get around to sneak out to do some fishing. After about 8 hours of driving i finally saw this. Attachment 7621

Only was going to have a half day to fish, so based on some internet scouting, some PM's here, and a trip to a local fly shop out there i decided to fish the middle provo. I was told that most of the fish were small, but that the browns were starting to get aggressive in their pre-spawn stage. That fact coupled with overcast conditions led me thinking one thing.....streamers. Perfect weather for it.
    Attachment 7622

This river is absolutely stunning. Perfect setting.
    Attachment 7623

I arrived at the parking lot before dawn, in hopes of hiking a ways to get away from the massive crowds, which are common on this river. Unfortunately both my hiking plan and steamer plan were thwarted when i got to about the fourth run from the lot and fish were rising, everywhere. I tried a couple casts with the streamer to no avail and then quickly tied on a EC caddis and started to have fun. These little guys were rising, everywhere. The river is absolutely loaded with them.
    Attachment 7624
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brownie.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	7628

After a caught a number of those i decided i was in search of something bigger, so hiked down stream aways, found a good streameresk stretch of water, tied on a double streamer set up and went to work. I was rewarded quickly, and often. I think i probably caught ten nice sized fish on streamers before the clouds broke, sun came up, and the streamer game subsided.
    Attachment 7625

Name:	brown.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	7626

Name:	brown with rod.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	7627

After the streamer game died i started heading back towards the car and stopped to fish a couple runs. Caught a few on nymphs and got my but completely handed to me trying to figure out what the fish were taking on top mid morning. All in all was a fun few hours of fishing, only wish i had more time....

Wow. Some real nice fish. The second one is a beaut!

How bout that drive across Nevada....never ending.

Quite a successful day of fishing...especially since you'd never fished it.

Btw, are those galvan reels not the best? What weight rod did you use?

EO
    Last edited by EricO; 09-26-2013 at 11:07 PM.

I caught my biggest brown so far on the Webber, but the Provo kicked my butt. I had monsters well over 24 inch follow my fly so many times and not take it. Both water are beautiful.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>