Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Shop

Default Fly Shop

Are there any fly shops in Northern Cal that sells rod building accessories. I've tried a few shops but it seems that not one shop carries any rod building components. Whatever happened to the full service fly shops.
    I don't want to order a few items and pay more for the shipping than what the items cost
    I'm looking for 3 cork rings to make a fighting butt or a fighting butt already made up. 3 stripping guides and some flex coat or whatever they use nowadays

Thanks

Jay

Just finished wrapping two sections. I did it the "old fashion" way. A coffee cup, a spool of thread and two heavy books

Check your pm's
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

I hear your pain. I'm getting in to bamboo rods, namely South Bends, Grangers, Heddons, etc, (most of which need some level of restoration)... and just finding silk thread without spending a fortune online is tough.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Question In Store....

Hi Jay,.... I've not seen many, if any, fly shops that have rod building materials (in store) any longer. I'm able to get the best materials/hardware on-line. However, Bob Marriotts on Orangethorpe in Orange County has the best in-store materials (cork, hardware, etc.) selection I've seen.... Not much help for immediate need but isn't your son down there for a quick visit???
    Last edited by Darian; 08-21-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Jay, if you want I will look around my stuff tonight. I may have a fighting butt or cork I can send to you. Let me know. Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Hi Jay,.... I've not seen many, if any, fly shops that have rod building materials (in store) any longer. I'm able to get the best materials/hardware on-line. However, Bob Marriotts on Orangethorpe in Orange County has the best in-store materials (cork, hardware, etc.) selection I've seen.... Not much help for immediate need but isn't your son down there for a quick visit???
    I'd second what Darian mentioned. I was just in there the other day to get a reel spooled up and a gentleman was going through the cork bins. They have quite a bit in the rod building department.
    I'm sure they could help ya over the phone if you can't find something local.
    -Paul

darian

That reminds me, Marriott's does have some rod building components. But my son doesn't live by marriotts anymore. The wife and kids moved back to Fresno so they can be by family with the new baby. He still lives in the area, santa fe springs. I'm also going down to Southern Cal next month for a presentation at one of the clubs, I might swing by there if the rod isn't completed.

Phil, if you have a fighting butt or corks let me know

I've sent a email to Raptor rod works but haven't heard back.

I've wrapped the tip and second section and will be working on the third section this week, the butt section will have to wait until I find some stripping guides. Oh well, it should be ready by next April to test out on the big roosters in Baja

Jay

In the last 10 year most fly shops got away from rod building all together.

20-30 years ago we all had rod building and even some custom rods.

One big change was the lifetime warranty on good inexpensive imported fly rods.

That filled the need for cheap rods and you don't have to build them.

Most all the rod building supplies are sold by a few online specialty shops.

I could go on for a long time about why all the shop dropped rod building supplies and there are many reason.

First off you would either go big $$$ or stay out of it all together.

If you don't go big $$$ you will never have the right selection.

There are hundreds of different styles, sizes and colors of guides to start with.

You could put $100,000 into blanks and not have the one they are looking for.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    Are there any fly shops in Northern Cal that sells rod building accessories. I've tried a few shops but it seems that not one shop carries any rod building components. Whatever happened to the full service fly shops.
    I don't want to order a few items and pay more for the shipping than what the items cost
    I'm looking for 3 cork rings to make a fighting butt or a fighting butt already made up. 3 stripping guides and some flex coat or whatever they use nowadays

Thanks

Jay

Just finished wrapping two sections. I did it the "old fashion" way. A coffee cup, a spool of thread and two heavy books
    Jay,

Have you ever visited Larry Lee in Citrus Heights? He has a lot of rod building materials and seems to price them reasonably. His email: L3rods@gmail.com Good Luck!

Jerry

I've used Utmost Enterprises in Washington for a lot of rod building materials. It's much less expensive for small items than other online shops. The shipping is also much cheaper.

here's the link www.utmostenterprises.com