Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bucket List Browns / Where to Go?

Question Bucket List Browns / Where to Go?

I think this is the first time I've ever posted on the "trout" column and I'll tell you why I am. With Bill's retirement has come a lot of recommendations from him about retiring early, getting out and enjoying life while you can, bucket lists, etc., etc. And now over on Dan's board is a rapport about doing it as early as you can.

This got me to thinking about something I've always wanted,,,,,,,, a BIG Brown. I've caught plenty of trout in my life and even a few browns too, but never a BIG Brown. And with all of this bucket list stuff being talked about I think I'd like to catch a nice brown somewhere. So far the biggest brown I've taken came from Hirschdale on the Truckee and was 14". That's a nice little trout. It was cute, it was pretty with those red spots, but it wasn't BIG. I want BIG.

I watched a show a while back on ESPN with Joe Brooks chasing BIG Browns in the dark on some river in Arkansas, (I think?) He looked to be in his 80's and he's wading in the dark fishing for Browns the size of Salmon. I think I'd like to do that Somewhere here in the states. I don't want to go to Argentina, or New Zealand, or some other foreign place, I'd just like to stay closer to home. And that Brown doesn't have to be the size of a Salmon either, just a "good" brown would be fine.

So where do I go? And who's a good guide that might specialize in BIG Browns? I don't need or want an "X" marks the spot kind of thing. I'd just like to have a general direction or river to go explore.

Thanks, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

That might be the White River in Arkansas? Dave Whitlock lives right near there.....

The South Island of New Zealand has big Browns too.

Tera Del Fuego on the tip of South America has big Sea-run Brown trout over 30#.

Hire guide Fred Gordon and he will take you to the lower McCloud River around he first part of November for big Brown trout coming up from Shasta Lake to spawn.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Check out the Grey Reef section of the North Platte. These guys are the best. http://www.crazyrainbow.net/
    If your in to swinging flys ask for Reese.

Default "Big" Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    I think this is the first time I've ever posted on the "trout" column and I'll tell you why I am. With Bill's retirement has come a lot of recommendations from him about retiring early, getting out and enjoying life while you can, bucket lists, etc., etc. And now over on Dan's board is a rapport about doing it as early as you can.

This got me to thinking about something I've always wanted,,,,,,,, a BIG Brown. I've caught plenty of trout in my life and even a few browns too, but never a BIG Brown. And with all of this bucket list stuff being talked about I think I'd like to catch a nice brown somewhere. So far the biggest brown I've taken came from Hirschdale on the Truckee and was 14". That's a nice little trout. It was cute, it was pretty with those red spots, but it wasn't BIG. I want BIG.

I watched a show a while back on ESPN with Joe Brooks chasing BIG Browns in the dark on some river in Arkansas, (I think?) He looked to be in his 80's and he's wading in the dark fishing for Browns the size of Salmon. I think I'd like to do that Somewhere here in the states. I don't want to go to Argentina, or New Zealand, or some other foreign place, I'd just like to stay closer to home. And that Brown doesn't have to be the size of a Salmon either, just a "good" brown would be fine.

So where do I go? And who's a good guide that might specialize in BIG Browns? I don't need or want an "X" marks the spot kind of thing. I'd just like to have a general direction or river to go explore.

Thanks, Tony
    Tony,

I've always subscribed to the "work to get there and you won't have to work so hard to catch something"
    philosophy. There may be places in the lower 48 where you might scratch out a large fish if you're lucky, but if you want "automatic" go to the south island of New Zealand.

Jerry

Tony,

In Oregon would try Miller Lake near Chemult that is open 24 hours a day in October or Wickiup Reservoir near La Pine. Again October and near Sheeps Creek. Big as anything the South Island has to offer. Also check some U-tube videos of guys fishing in the Milwaukee harbor about Novemer for some very big browns.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

You could call herb at the trinity fly shop. The trinity has some nice browns. Check out their website if you want to see some pictures.

Tony: check U tube for winter brown Trout Milwaukee Harbor.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Tony, if you want to travel you might think about some Great Lake rivers. Plenty with with regular large trout and if you go in the fall you can catch BIG lake run browns right along with steelhead.

This is great stuff guys. Thank you for all the suggestions. My son-in-law has family all over Argentina with hunting lodges and the whole bit. But that along with New Zealand are just too far to go. I'm not a good flyer after an hour or two in the air.

Thanks again for the help, Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

The Truckee does hold some big browns. If you don't fish it much you should hire a guide, or trade for a Striper trip on the Feather. Check out Gilligan's blog http://gilligansguideservice.com/blog/page/3/ . Look towards the bottom of the page. You may have to buy a Nevada license.... Doug O and Big Jim would work as well.
    Last edited by cyama; 08-24-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: more info