Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pit river isonychia hatch will dissappear

I think Aaron has a very good point, which is that the interests of the whitewater paddlers and those of anglers have a huge amount of overlap. There are indeed some differences, just as there are some major differences between various angling interests. If we all splinter and call each other names NONE of our shared interests will get the lobbying power that they well could. I actually know several of the key folks (ww paddlers included) who do a lot of work on the relicencing process, and the fact is that most of them are quite interested and concerned with the health of the river ecosystem. Some of them fish too. There could be a LOT more co-ordination and with some small compromises amongst ourselves we may well be able to tackle some more major concerns. One point that I think bears mention regarding pulse flows, is that there is quite a bit of interest and discussion about aranging recreational whitewater releases that are much more in line with what natural flows would be.

I do paddle, and I fish, and I think that there are some purely self serving interests in both of those particular groupes; but there are plenty of people in both who really do care about the bigger picture than just their own personal interests. I'd like to think of myself in that camp; I'm more concerned with the overall health of any given river system than my own oportunities to fish it or paddle it. My suggestion is that if you have a well thought out and fact based idea of how to make any improvements to the situation, and think that the whitewater lobby is on the wrong track you should contact Dave Steindorf through American Whitewater. Dave is a very good guy, and while his position is certainly to best represent the whitewater interests, he is by no means blind to other issues and concerns.
    Cheers (now I'm off in search of more silvers and steelhead in Alaska!)
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene retired View Post
    We will just have to wait and see.

Like most of this we, don't know what is going to happen and that is OK.

It seems we have Isonychias where the water gets a little warm in late summer.

How many streams have you seen them on or heard about others seeing?

Pit River - tons for years.

MFF - others

Battle Creek -once

Trinity River - once

Maybe they are on the Klamath River?

We used to get a few of them in Butte Creek close to Chico. They are cool to look at under a microscope.

Here is our general info on the Pit River:

http://www.kiene.com/portfolio-view/pit-river/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_ON View Post
    What happened before the dams when there was high water from winter storms or snow melt. We're they wiped out then?

Exactly! It doesn't take much insight and intelligence to figure this out.
    The high flows were seasonal back then, not man-made out of season flows unnaturally occurring when the insects are most vulnerable.
    Don Gustafson

Thanks old trout. Someone else also explained its not so much the pulse flows but the timing of them.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
    The high flows were seasonal back then, not man-made out of season flows unnaturally occurring when the insects are most vulnerable.
    While you and the other person that made these claims about out of season flows possibly have a point, with a little reason, I believe they too can be debunked! While higher flows in September are certainly uncommon, they HAVE happened historically in Northern California in the Pit Drainage...yet, Isisonychia still apear in the Pit. Somehow they exist today even though they have seen natural "pulse" flows at as you stated "unnatural" times....prior to the installation of dams!

Even the possibility that this could have a negative effect on the isonychia(however slim), is a reason for the fishing and paddling communities to work together. The paddling community certainly wouldn't care WHEN the releases are held...it's simply that they are held at all. The Pit is a beautiful river that has been shut off to the possibility of paddling at whitewater flows since the dams were installed. People simply want the opportunity to experience/paddle the river...pick a month...any month. It really doesn't matter.

I fish, I paddle...and I am as big about conservation as anyone on this board!

Fish ON

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_ON View Post
    While you and the other person that made these claims about out of season flows possibly have a point, with a little reason, I believe they too can be debunked! While higher flows in September are certainly uncommon, they HAVE happened historically in Northern California in the Pit Drainage...yet, Isisonychia still apear in the Pit. Somehow they exist today even though they have seen natural "pulse" flows at as you stated "unnatural" times....prior to the installation of dams!

Even the possibility that this could have a negative effect on the isonychia(however slim), is a reason for the fishing and paddling communities to work together. The paddling community certainly wouldn't care WHEN the releases are held...it's simply that they are held at all. The Pit is a beautiful river that has been shut off to the possibility of paddling at whitewater flows since the dams were installed. People simply want the opportunity to experience/paddle the river...pick a month...any month. It really doesn't matter.

I fish, I paddle...and I am as big about conservation as anyone on this board!

Fish ON
    i presently own a Sotar IK a 11 ft sotar legend and all my fishing is done out of a 16 ft Aire Jaguarundi. I paddle all the time winter spring summer. There is always something running in Oregon. What I object to the whitewater pulse flows.
    I have seen their impact on fishing on rivers like the North Umpqua ( I was there when they were doing test flows for boating)
    and on the NFF when they did the first rock creek cresta releases. The Original Ganda studies confirmed my suspicions.

Quote Originally Posted by joshfish View Post
    If i read it correctly The flow schedule only shows releases in pit five for the dates bill will be up there.
    I sent you a PM.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir