Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer/Fall Steelhead Trip

Default Summer/Fall Steelhead Trip

I was going to head up to the Trinity in two weeks but have since read that they are bumping flows up tomorrow to around 1000-1200 CFS from now until the end of September.

I'm trying to get an earlier start on Steelhead fishing this season (Me and the wife have a 1 year old and our second is due in February so I've got to hang it up by January, gotta love her for letting me go!). Another reason for my earlier start to the season is I'm dying to get one on the swing with my switch rod/skagit set up and hoping to have better luck then last year during late fall/winter where I came up goose eggs on the swing!

Has anyone fished the T at the higher flows?

I'm suspecting that I'd be better off heading farther north (Rogue River) since the Klamath isn't fishing well either due to the warm water temps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Bwag View Post

I'm suspecting that I'd be better off heading farther north (Rogue River) since the Klamath isn't fishing well either due to the warm water temps.

-Bryan
    A buddy of mine was up on the Klamath for a whole week! Nothing! He said he ended up going out past the mouth of the Klamath and there are quite a bit of salmon out there but hard to bring one in whole because the seals are right on it and end up taking the salmon body and all you have left is a head. He said the seals are just stacked up at the mouth to waiting for salmon. He's saying there are just loads and they seem to know when you have a hook up and bang fish is gone. But in the river nothing yet.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Good to know, thanks! Yeah I'm guessing I'll have to wait until they drop the water back down in late September before I venture out onto the Trinity. The Rogue is looking like a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    A buddy of mine was up on the Klamath for a whole week! Nothing! He said he ended up going out past the mouth of the Klamath and there are quite a bit of salmon out there but hard to bring one in whole because the seals are right on it and end up taking the salmon body and all you have left is a head. He said the seals are just stacked up at the mouth to waiting for salmon. He's saying there are just loads and they seem to know when you have a hook up and bang fish is gone. But in the river nothing yet.

might consider the North Umpqua?

I would have no problem fishing the trinity at those flows. 1000 to 1200 are optimum flows for swinging imho.
    The North Umpqua is a fishless ditch. LOL At least it was for me two weekends ago.

Rick, the North Umpqua would be awesome! Just a little too far for me to do a 3 day trip otherwise I'd love to hit that river and likely will in the near future with my dad.

Interesting Shawn, I've never been on the T at those flows so I figured it would be a waste of my time, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwag View Post
    Rick, the North Umpqua would be awesome! Just a little too far for me to do a 3 day trip otherwise I'd love to hit that river and likely will in the near future with my dad.

Interesting Shawn, I've never been on the T at those flows so I figured it would be a waste of my time, maybe not.
    More water= more traveling lanes open up .

when temps are in the 90s things can suck big time - if you can plan a trip when a front is coming in that is typically the winning ticket!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	7386
    I was on the N Umpqua a week ago hooked 2 landed one.
    The one I lost was a beast!! My girlfriend shot 4 minutes of the fight on video then I lost it!! I will never forget it!! I'm going back middle of September , love that river!!
    Last edited by Swing4chrome; 08-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Probably not the news you were looking for, but the BOR has a bump to 2500-2600cfs scheduled for 26th and 27th.