Thread: CA ocean king salmon fishing has been really good this summer.

Default CA ocean king salmon fishing has been really good this summer.

Lawson's Landing reported the best ocean catch in 20 years.

A few years ago commercial King salmon fishers got around $1.00/lb. Right now it is $5.30/lb.

I heard Oregon and Alaska had good ocean seasons too.

What have you heard?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,

My uncle who has lived at Lawson's Landing for 42 years says the salmon fishing back in July was the "most incredible" he had ever seen.

All anyone had to do was run out of Tomales and drop in off of Bird or Elephant Rock and they would catch their limit of 25-40 pound salmon in less than an hour.

I showed up right after this incredible fishing finally had slowed down, but still managed a fairly quick limit mooching with light tackle:

It is amazing how much food a limit of nice Chinook salmon provides. We neeed more salmon and less beef in California!

River fishing has been solid for the gear guys up on the Sacramento in the North Valley. I expect the fly fishers are going to see some incredible fall action for wild rainbows on the Lower Sac and Yuba and steelies on the Lower Feather once the salmon start spawning.

Right now, the Albacore are about 25 miles out, most over 25 lbs, on the surface and catchable on a fly. Limits are possible but most of us can't use or carry more than 2-3 each in private boats.