Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummer

Default Hummer

My inlaws have a huge Fuchsia plant that gets a lot of hummingbird activity. I spent a few minutes on it today. Was hoping for a male, but I wasnt very patient.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Nice. Just about impossible to distinguish between female rufous, Allen's and broad tailed. But they aren't in your area, are they? So it that a female ruby throat or black-chinned?

JBird - nice freeze action of the hummer's wings. What shutter speed did you shoot this with?

Doug, it's actually a Rufus. I'm in Seattle There was a very young male too. Upon close inspection of a photo, it had one single tiny orange feather on its gorgette. ��

Cmcculloch, I'll have to check the exif data to be sure of that. I would've liked it to be faster but my lens is a bit lacking in that department

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Wait, I thought you were in Wisconsin or Michigan or one of them Great Lakes states? Have you always been in Seattle? We have plenty of rufous hummers here in Redmond. What is surprising to me is we have lots of flickers but very very few other woodpeckers. I would have expected to see a few other wood peckers with all the junipers and dead junipers.

You aren't going crazy ��. Its Wisconsin. We are out west a lot tho

Been lurking around this site for quite awhile. Just have to comment on the photos jbird. I too am wondering the shutter speed that you needed to stop the hummers wingbeat.

I had to go check the file. They are 1/1000. Which is pretty slow for a hummingbird.

Nice shots...shooting hummers requires a ton of patience and a little bit of luck. I'm still trying to get that shot with the tail feathers spread in mid flight...hopefully one of these days I'll get lucky...

Pete
    FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

I tried to take a picture of a hummer once, she didn't like the idea and slapped me in the face. Thank you very much, I'll be here all week, try the souffle!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>