Thread: Yeti coolers are really that good.....

Default Yeti coolers are really that good.....

http://www.yeticoolers.com/

Doug Duncan recently went to the North Umpqua River for a quick 4 days of fishing.

He camped out and took his new Yeti 65 cooler.

He put two blocks of ice in it and said the blocks we about 50% after almost a week.

Doug said they advise you to put ice in it a few days before you leave for your trip too.

Most of our staff bought a Yeti 65 and I did too.

On my wife's recommendation I bought the Yeti 20 too, for day trips.

Come in and look at them....we have them at Kiene's Fly Shop.

Open 7 days a week.....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've been pining for Yeti for a long, long time.
    Don Gustafson

Mike O Guest

Fr the few times a year that I camp, I can buy a lot of ice blocks for the cost difference of one yeti. Gonna wait a few years, until the tech becomes standard, and the price comes down.

There are knock-offs coming now so they will be a little less.

Yeti is not for everyone.....but I guess it is nice to not have to drive out of ther wilderness to find ice every other day.

Doug says that you food and drinks are much colder in a Yeti too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Yetis are awesome. We spend most of our summers in Montana and Wyoming, generally fishing and camping in areas that require grizzly proof food containers. The warden and rangers just glance at the Yetis and give a thumbs up. They store ice for a generous amount of time AS LONG AS YOU PRE CHILL THEM! It takes a lot of ice to cool down 27 pounds of insulation (in the T65). Toss in a frozen gallon water jug the night before a trip and you'll be good to go in the morning. A fist sized chunk of dry ice can double the length of ice storage.
    STAW AWAY from the colored Yetis. Our tan one melts ice almost as twice as fast a a white one sitting right next to it. I bought the tan to use as a raft seat but it gets too hot to sit on and requires a pad. Stick with old fashioned white and get the most bang for your lots of bucks.

Thanks Ralph

We all bought the tan 65 because we did not know about the white being better with heat absobtion.

Pre-chilling is important too. I did not know about that either.

Thanks for the wonderful and important info.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

They also double as great casting platforms, which is the primary reason why I purchased the white Tundra 50. When strapped down to the bow, it is very stable and rigid.
    And they definitely keep ice longer too

Id be willing to invest in one. I'm sick of having to replace a Coleman twice a year. The hinges on those things are not very sturdy; the fastening screw just go into the plastic cooler shell. And the things are impossible to throw away! won't fit in the dam trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Id be willing to invest in one. I'm sick of having to replace a Coleman twice a year. The hinges on those things are not very sturdy; the fastening screw just go into the plastic cooler shell. And the things are impossible to throw away! won't fit in the dam trash can.
    I have resorted to retrofitting the Igloos with the SS hardware/latches and hinges..... And, I have added rigid insulation (home depot/Lowes) to them too. For example, I use a rigid insulation lid I cut to fit the opening that I also use to reduce the open space when pushed down. The lids on the basic chests are not insulated from what I can tell nor do they seal very well. Therefore, the reason why I added my own rigid insulation internal lid and in some cases, some rubber weatherstripping material. I can also thicken the walls and bottom too, using hot glue or silicon caulk to create a new sealed icebox within the ice chest.

I will say the bigger Coleman Xtreme from 2012 (vs. 2013 model) works pretty good. I actually had water freeze on the bottom of the ice chest in and around the ice packs. I have been using ice packs procured from a particular fish processor. These packs are from Japan and are very very good. I have been reusing them for about 10 years now.

In summary, I found that I prefer to 'work' with my current ice chests instead of buying another "igloo/coleman", etc. For me, one or two days use is all I need it for.....

I do like the look and feel of the Yeti's tho.....
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-12-2013 at 12:19 PM.