Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about taking up tying

Just my opinion, I would recommend the vice be rotary as well. Doesn't have to be full on rotary as in you can wind thread on by spinning it, but I've found being able to look at all sides of a fly easily is pretty useful. It's especially useful if you get into bigger streamers and stuff.

As far as hooks go, just make sure you match the hook model to the patterns you are tying, it makes things a lot easier. For dry flies things can be pretty simple, but for nymphs and beefier patterns (grasshoppers) you might want to go with 2x stout/strong shanks or something so the hook isn't bending when you really have to cinch materials down. Also, just make sure the size hooks you are buying seem right to you. IMHO there's some variablilty in that from manufacturer to manufacturer, but things like 2x long shanks etc... can mess you up if you didn't read the package carefully haha.

Lastly if you need any duck feathers, let me know, I throw that out to anyone as well, I always have an abundance. A lot of it goes to the Davis fly fishers after hunting season, but I always have bags of picked flank around, matched wings, and a few whole drake skins.

Default fly tying feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Goding View Post
    Just my opinion, I would recommend the vice be rotary as well. Doesn't have to be full on rotary as in you can wind thread on by spinning it, but I've found being able to look at all sides of a fly easily is pretty useful. It's especially useful if you get into bigger streamers and stuff.

As far as hooks go, just make sure you match the hook model to the patterns you are tying, it makes things a lot easier. For dry flies things can be pretty simple, but for nymphs and beefier patterns (grasshoppers) you might want to go with 2x stout/strong shanks or something so the hook isn't bending when you really have to cinch materials down. Also, just make sure the size hooks you are buying seem right to you. IMHO there's some variablilty in that from manufacturer to manufacturer, but things like 2x long shanks etc... can mess you up if you didn't read the package carefully haha.

Lastly if you need any duck feathers, let me know, I throw that out to anyone as well, I always have an abundance. A lot of it goes to the Davis fly fishers after hunting season, but I always have bags of picked flank around, matched wings, and a few whole drake skins.
    Kevin,

Howdy. I am not a hunter, so I purchase most of my feathers. If you have any lemon wood duck feathers, I will tie you up some flies. By lemon wood duck, I men the light tan colored feathers with dark striations. Thanks! Tim

Default Novice Fly Tying Class

Hello. I am sorry but we have had computer issues here at Kiene's, but we are back up and running.

I will be instructing a Novice Fly Tying class, and here are the details:

Who
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
    Bob,

Not wanting to sound like I know anything, as you are aware, there are Ford guys, Chevy guys, and Buick guys, with of course all others, but for the sake of example, will leave it at that. With you already having a Regal, you are set as that is what I have been tying on for the last 12 years. Short, sweet, and to the point. For the minimalist that wants performance at a value price, you can not go wrong with the Regal. Unless you purchase a high end kit, the equipment you obtain is marginal at best, and may hold you until you grow out of it, depending on how much you tie;it could be short, maybe 6 months. I remember the first kit I purchased, the materials and hooks were garbage. The kits these days are better. Bottom line, if you are going to stay with it, purchase the best you may afford, and grow into the quality. It will show in your flies you tie. Being from out of town, you better look us up! Then we can talk about the style of hooks you are using and how that may change your hook up rate...........Tim

Welcome to the fly tying fraternity! I think tying your own allows you to customize your flies for how, when and where you fish. High water year, tie your nymphs with small to medium tungsten beads, low water year, use brass beads and no other lead. Fishing early in the year, put more hackle on your dries to float better. Later in the year as water levels drop, you can tie your dries more sparse as the fish will get a longer look at them. There are alot of guys who will be willing to help and share what they do.
    The guys at Kienes are great to deal with, and have alot of experience, top notch people.
    Bob

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
    Kevin,

Howdy. I am not a hunter, so I purchase most of my feathers. If you have any lemon wood duck feathers, I will tie you up some flies. By lemon wood duck, I men the light tan colored feathers with dark striations. Thanks! Tim
    I have some lemon WD. next time I come into Sac, will drop some off for you at the shop.

I'm thinking about taking up tying again after about 30 years off for good behavior. I need something to keep me occupied and out of trouble when I'm not fishing....and another pit to shovel money into!

Heh, get into collecting and restoring bamboo fly rods................
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.