Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about taking up tying

Default Thinking about taking up tying

I'm thinking about taking up tying again after about 30 years off for good behavior. I need something to keep me occupied and out of trouble when I'm not fishing....and another pit to shovel money into!

I pretty much exclusively fish for trout and will be tying trout patterns.

Any recommendations for a good beginner setup...should I get a kit or buy everything individually? what sort of vise should I be looking at? I don't want to go completely entry level, but I'm not looking for the cadillac models either.

All helpful suggestions welcome!

NO-O-O-O....don't do it....It's death by inches......

But, if you insist and are looking for a cheaper vise that will suffice, look at the Regal knock offs. They do a good job on a wide variety and size hooks.

Default buyer beware

I don't like the "kit" vises for the most part.

When I started tying, I got the Dr. Slick Tyer Tool Set (scissors, bobbin, threader, hackle pliers, hair stacker) and I am still very happy with those tools. I've acquired some Renzetti bobbins but still use all the rest. Can't have too many bobbins!

There are a lot of good "mid-range" ($100-200) vises around.

My travel vise is a Renzetti Traveler. Like it a lot. Would not hesitate to recommend it as a primary vise. You can get it a little under $200.

Dyna-King Kingfisher I've had some experience with, can find for around $150.

Just a word of warning, the tools are BY FAR the least expensive part of this hobby. It starts with noticing all the glittery colorful pretties handing on the wall next to the trout-trying supplies. Those can add up fast. Then pretty soon you're buying new rods or reels and hiring steelhead/saltwater guides just so you can find a way to use the stuff you tied up over the winter.

I have a considerble amount of materials at very low prices from an estate.email me at fishdoc1@juno.com for more info.Doc Ceder
    The worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work

Just so happens i've an Anvil atlas i'm about to part with as i just upgraded, if you're interested in a decent vise, that is ($95 shipped). I tied mostly atlantic salmon flies with it. Should add that i've only had it for one year.

In terms of materials, i'd just buy what you need for the flies you want to tie, rather than buy a kit. get a dubbing box with a selection of colors, some thread, floss, etc.

Pick a couple flies, get those materials - as im sure you know, the pit will get real big, real fast!

E

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I'm thinking about taking up tying again after about 30 years off for good behavior. I need something to keep me occupied and out of trouble when I'm not fishing....and another pit to shovel money into!
    Sounds like you've pretty well got it all figured right to me. I say go for it, I've never once regretted starting up fly tying even though I now spend way more on my flies than I ever did when I just bought them at the fly shop. Sometimes I find that the inspiration and excitement of tying flies, and fishing with them is just as addictive as hooking and catching fish. Just got off a couple of very tough days fishing, but was pretty happy that I was able to hook up some fish on several of my own creative ideas. Money well spent imo, even if it does get to be a bit of an all consuming monster. I've not had the pleasure to tie on very many vices, so take it with a grain of salt, but I've been very happy with my Regal "Medallion" vice (about $165 in the C-clamp version). I really like being able to rotate the head a full 360, and I love the simple lever/spring action for mounting hooks. Very simple and quick.
    JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 08-08-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Thumbs up Fly Tying

I pretty much exclusively fish for trout and will be tying trout patterns.

Any recommendations for a good beginner setup...should I get a kit or buy everything individually? what sort of vise should I be looking at? I don't want to go completely entry level, but I'm not looking for the cadillac models either.

All helpful suggestions welcome!
    Bob,

Howdy, and welcome to the site. My name is Tim Au-Young, and I am the Shipping and Receiving Manager here at Kiene's. Among other things, I instruct fly tying and have some ideas for you. The questions you inquired about can be long or short in answer, and when you have some time, please call the shop so we may chat. Briefly, the two options are yours, purchase a kit (good and bad), or purchase items individually, more good than bad, in my opinion. With your past experience, you'll be able to decide relatively sooner than later. We are at 916.486.9958, 7 days a week. During the week is when I work, 10 AM to 6 PM. Anyone may assist you. Good luck and we'll look forward to your call. Tim

Hi Tim,

Much thanks! I sometimes stop by the shop when I'm in Sacramento on business. Next time I'm there I'll ask for you.

Another suggestion is to check out fly fishing clubs in your area. Many have fly tying classes at low cost or free. Also a good opportunity to meet other tiers for questions and help.

Default Fly tying inquiry

Hi Tim,

Much thanks! I sometimes stop by the shop when I'm in Sacramento on business. Next time I'm there I'll ask for you.
    Bob,

Not wanting to sound like I know anything, as you are aware, there are Ford guys, Chevy guys, and Buick guys, with of course all others, but for the sake of example, will leave it at that. With you already having a Regal, you are set as that is what I have been tying on for the last 12 years. Short, sweet, and to the point. For the minimalist that wants performance at a value price, you can not go wrong with the Regal. Unless you purchase a high end kit, the equipment you obtain is marginal at best, and may hold you until you grow out of it, depending on how much you tie;it could be short, maybe 6 months. I remember the first kit I purchased, the materials and hooks were garbage. The kits these days are better. Bottom line, if you are going to stay with it, purchase the best you may afford, and grow into the quality. It will show in your flies you tie. Being from out of town, you better look us up! Then we can talk about the style of hooks you are using and how that may change your hook up rate...........Tim