Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook keeper and line ?

Default Hook keeper and line ?

Just got a sage tcx 5 weight switch. Any idea why hook keepers arent available on most switch and speys. Not a big deal when wading but a pain in the ass when in a boat. If I put one on does that void any sort of warranty?

If anyone has this rod what do you throw if using a yarn indo? Is an SA GPX 8 wt steelhead line to much?

Thanks
    Jason

just as easy to hook fly to a stripper and then hook leader around the back of the reel - no need for a hook keeper. When in a boat with multiple rods it is always safest to break the unused rods apart (if 4 piece - at least break in two; if 3-piece break all the way down- reel fly right up to tip and place tip to butt to best protect the tip - use Velcro ties to keep rod together - only takes a few seconds to break down and put back together

Like Rick said I just hook it to one of the stripping guides. I use a 8 wt Atlantic Steelhead line on my 5 wt Z-Axis switch so you should be fine using the 8 wt GPX.

With a hook keeper on a two hander I could see some possible line fowling , especially with a shooting head system. On your forward cast when you go to release the line you could get line wrap on the butt section and it gets caught on the keeper. I have had this happen on a single hander fishing for Striper on windy days.

The old brain wasn't working apparently - will use the stripping guide.

A couple of years back my spey rods were delayed a half day in transit on a trip up to BC. The lodge let me use one of their rods which unfortunately had a hook keeper on it. To my chigrin my line fouled on the hook keeper on almost every cast. I was very glad to get my own hook-keeper-less rod when it finally arrieved. No more problems. I guess my experience is not unusual because as you noted, hook keepers are not available anymore. Use the guide and line wrap around the reel seat technique mentioned above. It works every time. .....Anne
    "So it goes"

Oh, thanks Anne! I've always wondered why 2-handed rods don't have keepers -- mystery solved.

If you're fishing a big bushy Intruder style fly and using those magnetic/vacuum rod holders on the hood pay attention to which way you point the fly when you hook it to the rod. This past winter I had a well used Intruder that had it's life shortened because it was butt into the wind driving up/down the NU.

Quote Originally Posted by anne vitale View Post
    a couple of years back my spey rods were delayed a half day in transit on a trip up to bc. The lodge let me use one of their rods which unfortunately had a hook keeper on it. To my chigrin my line fouled on the hook keeper on almost every cast. I was very glad to get my own hook-keeper-less rod when it finally arrieved. No more problems. I guess my experience is not unusual because as you noted, hook keepers are not available anymore. Use the guide and line wrap around the reel seat technique mentioned above. It works every time. .....anne
    exactly!!!

I have an Orvis SH rod that has a "hinged" hook keeper. Not that I use it much, but wondering if it would lead to line
    fouling on spey/switch rods?
    Best from Sun Diego; temps in mid 70's,
    Larry S