Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having second thoughts...

Default Having second thoughts...

Anyone ever get tired of driving hours, round trip, to fish for a day or two? I'm really thinking of buying a bass boat and go to conventional gear. Going to start a family soon and I can already hear the conversations about not going hours away. Anyone been through this? Maybe some good words too keep the faith before I put my gear on ebay?

Why do you have to go conventional. I see your in sf. I assume you would buy a bass boat and fish the delta. Why not just fly fish the delta like a lot of others do?

If it can be caught on gear, it can be caught on fly

Having just started a family, I hear what you are saying being from the San Fran area myself. Have you thought about salt water fly fishing? I think you can go around the Pacifica area. Not quite the river, but I've been looking into it. Haven't tried it yet though.

My preferred fish is the trout/steelhead. I already had a discussion with the wife and she doesn't want me to stop fly fishing, she's into it too. So we will be getting a camper for weekend trips. I enjoyed all of your responses. I'll definitely be getting a bass and striper rod for the summer months when I can't get away.

If you get an RV you can go to the Delta and use a float tube, kayak, canoe, or small boat.

May is the best month for top water LMB with flies.

Top month for Stripers is November.

Lots of marinas with camp grounds too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey there fly guy Ross,
    I feel your pain, I just recently had a kid (10months as of Sunday) and a fur baby. As we got closer to her due date I noticed that being close to home and on call was going to be a fact of life for the next couple of years. That being said, I made a conscious decision to work my local waters (SF Bay, Ocean, Lakes and Ponds). That being said, I'm making it to the coast a couple of times a week for an hour or two after work and on the weekends. I originally set out to fish conventionally with spinning gear for perch and stripers until I figured it out. But sooner than latter I set up some rods with shooting heads and have been doing the chuck and duck (quack quack) ever since. I still throw jewelry and bait, mainly for bass and mud marlin, but there's a new found satisfaction of the moving water of the beach. The fish are winning by leaps and bounds but I keep trying. If you would like some company, shoot me an e-mail. Don't get discouraged, there are still lots of opportunities fresh and salt all around the bay with in an hour.
    P.S. if you do get a bass boat I'm in, I'll trade you rides on my canoe or pontoon.
    P.P.S - Remember I'm local, I got first dibs on your gear Cash in hand
    J. Ice

Hey how bout me? I would love some/help company in getting started with saltwater! Plus, I am on the hunt to find my 7 month old daughter a friend to play with occasionally -- two birds with one stone!

I'm in Millbrae, BTW.
    Last edited by flounder; 08-06-2013 at 02:43 PM.

I actually already have a PAC 1200 I was going to outfit with a 4 hp motor and a trolling motor for the sloughs on the delta and Lafayette reservoir (I kill it there for BIG bucketmouths). My fiancee already promised me that I get a fishing boat since I bought her THE ring, good trade off. Definitely going to hit up the American and Feather for stripers. I fish a lot of local water already. I just love fishing the rivers that are unfortunately 4-5 hours one way.

Lets make it happen I got a creek company OCD 1200 (Every one said I had OCD). I've been meaning to hit the sloughs on the bay. There's got to be a way to hook some leopards and rays. The rivers were my passion as well. Something about moving water that quiets my mind. The surf seems to do it as well as long as i can keep my rhythm up throwing a shooting head. Flounder lets hook up the wife needs a partner when I take here camping or anywhere there is water I can fish. Same soon with the daughter. I'm more than willing to show you what not to do I've only started since November and live in San Bruno were practically neighbors.
    J. Ice

Ross Lets set up a shuttle on some of the local rivers when you get free. Lower Middle Stan? Yuba, Merced?