Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Filter Bottles

Default Water Filter Bottles

Have you used them? What are your experiences? (brand names would be helpful). I had cautiously started using mine (a Sawyer) to drink from the river, until I came across a guide that said that his water filter bottle caused him to get sick (he wasn't sure about the brand). Thank you for the feedback. Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by treefshr View Post
    Have you used them? What are your experiences? (brand names would be helpful). I had cautiously started using mine (a Sawyer) to drink from the river, until I came across a guide that said that his water filter bottle caused him to get sick (he wasn't sure about the brand). Thank you for the feedback. Gregg
    I've only ever heard good things about Sawyer filter products. I use a Squeeze filter for backpacking and I have confidence it it though I can't say they I've ever used it anywhere where I might be afraid of a high giardia risk.

Perhaps the guide was using an el-cheapo product or used it wrong.

I say you should be fine.

_SHig

I used a Katadyn filter bottle for a few years. I never got sick, but I always filled it from the freshest water source available such as springs or fast moving feeder streams--never from the main river stem.

I stopped using it as I felt it was too much dead weight. It didn't hold that much water, and the filter element is heavy once it gets wet. It also constantly leaked, and despite my best efforts to clean and dry between trips it developed a funky taste. But again, I never once got sick.

These days I use iodine tabs. No "gee-whiz!" gadget factor, but they're light and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by treefshr View Post
    Quite a while back I interviewed folks from MSR, Pur, Katadyn, Sawyer and Sweetwater. A common sentiment from all was that the liability from someone getting sick by drinking water purified by their products was so high that their actual level of purification versus the stated level of purification was ridiculously generous. It is pretty unlikely that anyone got sick from properly using a purification bottle.

www.backpackthesierra.com is a blog written by common sense couple with info on their choice of water filters, Katadyn Hiker.

Besides giardia what other pathogens in the Sierras are we trying to neutralize. I wonder if a local hospital, e.g. Northern Inyo Hospital in Bishop would have someone on staff with knowledge or experience in treating water borne infections particular to that area?

What Ralph said! Now if I could just find one that would convert stream water into Knob Creek.
    Best,
    Larry S

I've been using my water filter bottle for years and have nothing bad to say. Great device, simple, light. "Aquamira" is the name.

I use the Katadyn Exstream squeeze bottle. Works OK, but they put a taper on the bottle that reduces volume and makes it a little harder to squeeze. Wish they would just make it a straight sided bottle. It is also a little tough to get a good drink of water because the stream is kind of small. I carry an empty bottle that I fill from the filter so I can get a better drink of water but it just adds another step when I am thirsty. On the upside I have never gotten sick yet and the filters last a long time.

I've not tried any of these filters yet. How does the water taste from them? Do you only use them where the water looks clear, or do they also filter out the mud and crud?