Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Floatation Device(PDF) recommendation for float tubing

Default Personal Floatation Device(PDF) recommendation for float tubing

I do a lot of lake fly fishing in my Fat Cat and while out on the water, I have thought about what happens should the bladder tube pop. Got bombed by an osprey a couple of times this year and wondered what would happen if he missed and hit my tube with his talons. What's plan B? Hold onto the Styrofoam seats?

So, the question is, does anyone have any recommendations for a PDF (personal floatation device) to be worn on a float tube also with a vest on? Not interested in a PDF vest.

Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions?

Russ
    Russ Alltucker

Russ,
    Check out the SOS type flotation.
    Best,
    Larry S

A Fat Cat has 2 separate tubes, so if one goes out you still have the other to hang on to. With that in mind I would go with an inflatable PFD. Non restrictive and comfortable for a PFD.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Thumbs up PFD's....

How about a waist pack, CO2 inflatable PFD???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    How about a waist pack, CO2 inflatable PFD???
    I own one. Never use it as all of my tubes have at least two chambers. That said, I would be more likely to wear it on moving water.

_SHig

My tube has 5 air chambers. I threw it in my buddy's pool, got in it fully geared up & purposely tipped it over several times to see what would happen. I was surprised to find out how much floatation the air in my waders gave me. Plus my fins had some flotation. Based on my experiment & the 5 air chambers (older model Outcast Trinity) I don't worry about a PFD unless I'm at Pyramid or somewhere else known for wind & waves. In those cases I wear a lightweight Cabelas cool mesh PFD. They are always putting them on sale for about $20. They have them on sale now. I'd post the link, but Cabelas links are way too long.

Re: waist pack inflatable PFD's must be able to fit over the head to support you. After I bought it I put it over my head and it was tight enough to pull my glasses off my head.

I have one of the seat cushion type of PFDs that I sit on when I'm using my tube. It keeps me a little bit higher out of the water and is there to grab onto in case of a catastrophic tube failure. When using my pontoon, I wear a good old fashioned vest type PFD, since I usually use that on moving water exclusively.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Like others have said, an SOS type should meet your needs. If you travel to fish you should know there are lakes in Oregon that require you to wear a PFD when on the water, not just to have one with you. It is a good idea to have one with the automatic inflation feature. You probably will never need it but if you do......

Thanks to all of you for responding. Good Information.

A couple of clarifications: 1) The Fat Cat I have has only one bladder, so if it blows for some reason, your only option of floating is the Styrofoam seats and back. While the seats are good, I would not like to consider that my last resort. 2) when I said I wasn't interested in a PDF vest, I meant I was referring to a PDF fishing vest (with all the pockets) with the PDF built into it.

I am interested in the slim PDF's with auto and manual inflation that will fit under a regular fishing vest, and therefore I am looking for any recommendations in that area. I know Cabelas has a bunch. Anyone buy any of those?

Thanks again.
    Russ
    Russ Alltucker