Thread: an exercise in color expression

Default an exercise in color expression

Ever since I started tying salmon flies, my wife has always remarked on the color combinations of the wings/bodies etc within each pattern, observing that for the most part, many of the flies contain the colors Red, Yellow and Blue, or as she puts it, the colors of the Ecuadorian flag (she's Ecuadorian)

Shes mentioned a few times in the past that I should tie her a fly, and a little while ago, I did. She seemed not to like the previous effort, so back to the drawing board I went, and came up with this version.

The pattern is as follows:

Hook: Sunday Style Limerick size 7/0 (This is a reworked hook)

Tip : Gold Tinsel

Tag: Blue floss Ribbed with fine silver tinsel, three turns

Tail: Golden Pheasant crest veiled with Indian Crow (sub used here), butted with white ostrich herl

Body: three sections, first yellow floss, ribbed with med silver tinsel, three turns, veiled above and below with kingfisher and butted with white ostrich herl. Second section, red floss, ribbed as previous, except 4 turns, veiled above and below with yellow weaver, butted as previous. Third section, embossed silver tinsel.

Hackle: Red henny rooster hackle.

Wing: Scarlet Macaw coverts to fit the hook

Shoulder, smaller blue macaw feather, over which is a smaller again, yellow macaw feather

Cheeks: Indian crow sub

Topping over all.

Head: Black

This was basically an exercise in color management, Red, Yellow and Blue. Luckily, the 'trifecta' of rare feathers (Indian Crow, Toucan and Chatterer) all are these colors, and all have reasonable subs available.

I've gotten a taste for the full feather wing flies now, and even though I've tied a few ranger patterns in the past, as well as a Lady Amherst, the large macaw coverts are certainly starting to appeal to me in terms of tying. Coupled with the fact that I've got quite a few more of these 7/0 hooks, it seems like a Gitana, May Queen, Sir Moses and perhaps a couple of Blackers big gaudy Spring flies are in my immediate tying future.

Here's another pick of La Ecuadoriana, mounted. For size reference, the case is for holding baseball cards

Hope you like it.

Eunan

Addictedtovise one hell of a fly! Nice job!!
    They don't call it dope cause it makes you smarter....

An absolute outstanding tie!! Very thought out. Thanks for sharing. Did you personally
    dye any of the materials used on this fly?
    Thanks,
    Bob

I didnt dye any of these materials, but i have dyed a bunch of other feathers, wool, bucktail etc for other flies....
    Here is a few examples All were dyed with Jacquard Acid dyes, except the Pink saddle, for which i used Cushings Perfection Acid Dye.

Snowshow rabbit and saddle hackles, white to magenta

Whiting Hen saddle, White to Rose Pink

Various Materials, white to Sunburst

White berlin wool to Brown (top) and Olive for Lady Caroline spey fly. this i sectioned, and blended to a dubbing.
    Last edited by addictedtovise; 07-19-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Nice fly and cool to see the material.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thumbs up Salmon Flies....

Amazing combination of colors and form. Beautiful result. I bet your wife's proud. Thanks for sharing....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Eunan - nice she should like this one for sure. Did you decide on a name? Maybe consider 'Circus Clown'

Thanks for the great pics. I too use Jacquard. You may want to take a look at Dharma dyes, not better necessarily, just more fun stuff. Dharma is a company out of the east bay. Ron who dyes the materials for the J Fair line told me about Dharma. I have bought many of their colors. Large quantity at a good price.
    Bob

Bob, i'm familiar with Dharma, but never purchased from them. I'll certainly check them out!

Eunan