Thread: La Paz Baja 2013. . .Part Two

Default La Paz Baja 2013. . .Part Two

We had lots of doubles too.

As we trolled looking for more dorado we’d also spot marlin which seemed to be everywhere. Some seemed to be sleeping while others where cruising and after food.

I was lucky enough to have one take my fly. But after six grabs and takes I couldn’t get a good hook set and ended with this Marlin Bit & Spit. (even with a 6/0 Gamakatsu)

Several of the guys did take marlin on conventional gear. Jerry Shoemaker took three while Bill Siler and his son Kyle took their first. Here’s Bill with a nice dorado and a shark bit skippy, and Bill’s son Kyle with a big skipjack.

Besides lots of beautiful dorado and way too many black skipjack Steve Purpura landed the first ever Pargo rojo on a fly.

Pargo rojo also go by several other names such as Dogtooth snapper and Cubera. Steve took this beauty on one of Jim May’s brown / white Feather Duster flies.

Our last day we got word that tuna had been showing approximately twenty some miles east of Isla Cerralvo. Our captain (Jesus) asked if we’d like to give them a try saying it would be a long ride getting there. “You bet!” and off we went. Three and half hours later we see splashing yellowfin breaking the surface and dolphin (porpose?) everywhere. Tuna, for whatever reason, seem to follow under rolling dolphin and we had dolphin going out of sight in every direction.

Before I could make my first cast with the fly Jesus already had Kim’s sardina in the water and she’s hooked up. To our surprise, it’s a huge dorado and ended up weighing over forty pounds.

As quickly as I could get my fly in the water I was hooked up to my first yellowfin of the trip. And so it went for the next two hours, non-stop hook-ups of yellowfin tuna, a few skipjack, and even one huge dorado.

Here’s my wife and Jesus with her first yellowfin and me with one taken on the fly.

Back at the dock Leonard Phillips (owner of Baja Pirates) holds up Kim’s dorado.

On the ride from La Paz back to the Cabo airport we ended our trip by breaking down out in the middle of nowhere. Yes, even a new Mercedes van can break down in Mexico.

What a way to end a great trip 
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony, dispite the breakdown it looked like non stop action. Good for you and congrats on the yellow tail! Just glad you made it home safe... It's never safe to break down in the middle of nowhere in Mexico.

Cool La Paz....

WOW!!!! What a great trip. When flies aren't working fast, Renee does the same thing as Kim; switches to bait. Long boat ride for the Yellowfin but worth it. It looks like some of those fish on the dock were Oceanic Skippies (not Black Skipjack). How were they as table fare?? Luckily, our van's have not broken down on our trips. It's bad enough driving down there with those crazy truck drivers on narrow roads (yikes!!!)
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

AWESOME report Tony!! Looks like one heck of a trip. It's on my bucket list for sure. Sooner than later I hope.

Darian,

We didn't keep any of the skipjack but our captain did. He said that he soaks them in something (brine?) first and then cooks them for burritos. The Skippy's where unavoidable as they mixed in with the yellowfin. And yes, we did bring home plenty of yellowfin and a little dorado too
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Great report Tony! Looks red hot down there! Did you ever find the snook in the estuary? When you said The first ever Pargo Rojo on fly, I assume you meant for your group? Weve gotten them before. Seen them boiling in massive red schools almost like skippies.

No snook this trip. There were plenty of mangroves areas but they kept talking about the mangroves over on the island, Espiritu Santo.

Yes, this was a first pargo rojo for our group taken on a fly. We've taken several barred pargo as well a few years ago.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

As usual, fantastic pictures and excellent editorial. I almost didn't recognize you with a fish that was not a stiper in your hands. I'm happy your trip was a success. Looking forward to going myself someday.
    Randy

Damn, I knew we should have gone north! We didn't see a single Dorado off the East Cape

Trip report will be posted later this week......
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."