Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lion Citing-S Fork Yuba

Quote Originally Posted by Fish_ON View Post
    Sure we should let dogs chase mountain lions up a tree so we can stand underneath them as they are completely defenseless and shoot them...yep, we will call that "hunting" too! If you can stalk them and take them...and eat them, good on ya! Otherwise, I call that pathetic and about as unsporting as you can get. The ignorance and arrogance is offensive. Off my soapbox for now just really tired of reading the same garbage.
    COuldnt agree more. IMO that type of hunting or "treeing up", is pathetic and shows no sportsmanship at all. The cats have always been there. I grew up in sonoma county closer towards mendocino county. My folks own property a good 20 minutes outta town on 40 acres w/ plenty of land surrounding. IN the 14 years I lived out there I saw 3 cats. 2 of the 3 were on very late night drives home.....2-4am. Once at dusk. My parents still live out there...going on 25 years now and my mom has only seen one cat. They are there but in no shape or form should we consider ourselves "at risk". YOur more likely to win the lotto than get attacked by a mountain lion. Enjoy your time on the water and just keep your eye out for those beautiful sights at mother nature.

Sounds like an interesting activity for the spear fishermen. Chasing your dog thats chasing a cougar all the while dressed in a wet suit and flippers trying to aim your spear gun for a shot. Paints an interesting picture. Now thats sporting!

Glad you corrected that...at first I thought the CHP (Cougar Hazard Police) were giving out tickets to the poor creatures!

Default Count yourself lucky!

I'd say you were very fortunate to get to see a mountain lion; while they are most certainly around, it's a rare treat to actually see one up close. Gangster is right that you're probably more likely to win the lottery than be attacked by a lion. The fear of these cats has been so overblown. Yes they are elusive and talented predators, yes there are some attacks here and there, but there is no need to be overly paranoid about them. For the most part they really want nothing to do with humans, which is why it is fairly rare to see one despite the fact that they most certainly DO exist in many of the places we go to fish, hike, camp, etc.

Again, I'd count that experience as a rare opportunity and be glad you were there to see it. By the way, the South fork of the Yuba is further east up in the mountains; that stretch of water is actually the main stem of the Yuba. Just an fyi, not to nitpick
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    It's time to bring back hunting for Mt. Lions. California is overpopulated, many more humans!
    Apologies for mangling your words, but I think it reads more accurately that way lol. Perhaps the Mt. Lions are thinking the same thing no?
    (sorry Mark, couldn't resist )
    JB
    Last edited by JasonB; 07-16-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I'd say you were very fortunate to get to see a mountain lion; while they are most certainly around, it's a rare treat to actually see one up close. Gangster is right that you're probably more likely to win the lottery than be attacked by a lion. The fear of these cats has been so overblown. Yes they are elusive and talented predators, yes there are some attacks here and there, but there is no need to be overly paranoid about them. For the most part they really want nothing to do with humans, which is why it is fairly rare to see one despite the fact that they most certainly DO exist in many of the places we go to fish, hike, camp, etc.

Again, I'd count that experience as a rare opportunity and be glad you were there to see it. By the way, the South fork of the Yuba is further east up in the mountains; that stretch of water is actually the main stem of the Yuba. Just an fyi, not to nitpick
    JB
    I think the other thing people forget to consider is they are the kings of stealth. I would bet dollars to donuts that every single one of us that has spent any time in lion country has been watched by one. I always say, for every lion you see out in the wild, 25 have seen you. I'm way more concerned about the "2 legged predators" out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    I think the other thing people forget to consider is they are the kings of stealth. I would bet dollars to donuts that every single one of us that has spent any time in lion country has been watched by one. I always say, for every lion you see out in the wild, 25 have seen you. I'm way more concerned about the "2 legged predators" out there.
    I'm pretty sure you are roughly correct about those numbers. I've only seen a few in my lifetime, most of which has been in the woods and mountains. I can't even imagine how many Mt. Lions have seen me... and I am still FAR, FAR more concerned about the 2 legged wild ones too.

Years ago, I hiked solo into a stream canyon south of Lassen.
    This place was as off the track as you can get.
    Sitting on a log on a sand bar having a snack.
    Casually glanced at the ground....there were very large, fresh, kitty tracks at my feet.
    SUDDENLY....nothing happened.
    But the flavor of that hike stays with me.
    Adventure means not knowing what will happen.
    Kinda wish they would re-introduce our state mammal, the GRIZZLY, shall we take a vote on that?

As an after-thought....since the Grizzly's are spreading to their natural range, maybe someday........

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 07-17-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Adventure means not knowing what will happen.

Jim
    Here, here!
    JB

I don't mean to sound anti-hunting either.
    I think it's natural to hunt. (And to be hunted.)
    Those wishing to take cougars should....
    During spear season only....
    You could, of course, buy a two-spear addition to your hunting license.
    Put on your track'en shoes and go for it!

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 07-17-2013 at 10:28 AM.