Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lion Citing-S Fork Yuba

Default Mountain Lion Sighting-S Fork Yuba

I was fishing above the Hi 20 Bridge in the upper section of the river on Sunday 7/14/13 in the late afternoon/early evening. On my way out, 6:30 pm, still in the upper section, I startled a mountain lion who was 30-50 yards away from me and it took off running up the side of the hill. I would estimate his size to be in the 75-100 lbs. range. it definitely wasn't a deer. This thing ran low to the ground and did not bound like a deer. Needless to say my head was on a swivel as I weaved my way through the tall bushes to get back on the trail and move on downstream.

As far as the fishing goes, it was slow for me both nymphing and fishing dries. It has been awhile since I fished the Yuba and certainly know that you pay your dues on this river. There wasn't much of a hatch late in the evening. My day ended at 9:15 pm.
    Last edited by Barry Clark; 07-15-2013 at 08:46 AM.

That should be "Sighting" instead of "Citing"--oops

More and more of those cats being seen all the time. Sam D. had one run in front of his truck last Monday on the grade heading west just out of Burney @ 9 in the morning.

It's time to bring back hunting for Mt. Lions. California is overpopulated with them, many more human attacks as well!

Sure we should let dogs chase mountain lions up a tree so we can stand underneath them as they are completely defenseless and shoot them...yep, we will call that "hunting" too! If you can stalk them and take them...and eat them, good on ya! Otherwise, I call that pathetic and about as unsporting as you can get. The ignorance and arrogance is offensive. Off my soapbox for now just really tired of reading the same garbage.

There have been 14 verified mountain lion attacks in California since 1986. There have been five since 2004. I've been around mountain lions up here in Mendocino County since 1986 and have been privileged to see a couple of them in the wild, as should anyone who gets this opportunity. I have found lion sign a LOT in areas where I hunt and fish. With that said, I feel far more threatened by illegal dope growers and manufacturers and hunters who take "sound" shots than I do by the many lions in the woods.

Didn't say anything about hunting with dogs, I agree. No sport in that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Didn't say anything about hunting with dogs, I agree. No sport in that!
    I actually prefer RPGs for cougar. You just need a hit in the general vicinity and all life is vaporized.

Jay, if you have some I will take em! Top $$$

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    I actually prefer RPGs for cougar. You just need a hit in the general vicinity and all life is vaporized.
    Hey,

Where can I find me a nice cougar? Anyone?

_SHig