Thread: Montana trip 2013 part 2

Default Montana trip 2013 part 2

From there we went to Kalispell which is about 30 miles from Glacier, there was a lake I wanted to fish that was rumored to have graylings. And a ski resort that has a zip line that we wanted to try. I hit up a back slough and got brown off by some bass but was able to land a yellow perch. A new species for me. But one of the main highlights was float tubing in a small lake in the hills surround by trees and bald eagles. Not only did I catch my first grayling on my black wiggle tail fly, but I caught a bunch of them. Real slippery fish so hard to hold with one hand and take a pic. I was also lucky enough to capture this bald eagle catching it's own grayling.

From here we moved to within a couple miles of the West entry and started really exploring the park. Hiked into a real easy lake called Avalanche Lake, it turns out that it has the pure genetic strain western cutthroats they plan to restore to their natural waters. Once again the black wiggle tail caught my a new species and a beautiful one at it. The view was beyond belief, crystal clear water and big bold mountains all around. We saw Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goats, and even a grizzly bear. The wildflowers were in bloom and the weather was perfect. Glacier is an incredible place to see and experience, I hope to go back again. Did a little stream fishing and got lucky their as well. Overall just an incredible experience to have enjoyed.

On our way home we stopped back at Dillon so I could fish the Beaverhead again. This time with my Tenkara Iwana 11' rod. I believe this is their lightest weight rod and I found it's limit. Anything over 18" could not be turned, so needless to say I lost a couple over 20". I was able to land 17" browns. If you have not fished Tenkara I highly recommend it. What an incredible feeling to use just one hand, but landing the fish does take some skill. It to me was the hardest part. Not a bad day for my first time with one, probably landed about 20 or so and lost another 2 dozen, it was just an incredible day wading the Beaverhead.

My final thoughts on Montana. Love the people, love the beauty, could be very happy spending non snow months there. People don't speed which is nice, it was a laid back but hard working type of community. A great first experience, I can't wait to go back.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Wow! It really looks like a great trip. I share your sentiments about Montana wholeheartedly. Glacier is such a beautiful place, pictures only hint at the grandeur of the place. It looks like you got into a nice variety of species of fish as well. Your shot of the baldy and the grayling is absolutely amazing! I'm also glad that you did so well on the Beaverhead. It looks like you caught it just right. That river gave me NO love. Thanks for the photos and details of your trip.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 07-15-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the photos Scott! Looks like a trip to remember... Good sites and good fishing, hard to beat!

Great pictures of Montana. Smiled at some of the pictures as I have been there. Went in 2011 and 2012, and will be going back for a month this year in Sept. Extremely beautiful country, a lot less people in CA, and friendlier. I fished the Bitterroot (and other streams as well) and caught (C&R) an 18" brown, an 18" rainbow, and an 18" cutthroat on a 4wt road in the span of 40 yards. and lots of smaller fish of the 3 species. An interesting fact I got from Montana F&G: they have not stocked the Bitterroot since 1975, and there are lots and lots of fish in that river. CA could take a lesson from Montana on preserving its fisheries.
    Russ Alltucker