Thread: ID Help please

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Default ID Help please

Can anyone identify this insect, please? It landed on the molding around my garage yesterday evening. Terrible picture and I only got the ne before it flew away. It is about an inch and half long with a large, humpy, dark grey thorax. The eyes were dark, multi-facetted and not overly large. The abdomen was lighter in color, maybe a light grey with darker bands. At the tail end it had what looked like a white fuzzy section. Legs were black with thorny hairs on all of them. It appeared to have a fairly large and ominous looking proboscis but I couldn't tell if it was rigid (say for penetrating) or soft for sensing and tasting. When it flew it made a loud buzzing sound, like an extra large horsefly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unknownfly.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	7251

Looks like a Robber Fly to me

You nailed it, MDA. I did some on line research for robber flies in Oregon. This one looks just like the one I saw. Thanks for the education. These critters are carnivorous and that big proboscis definitely has use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	promachus albifacies.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	7254
    Last edited by DLJeff; 07-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.

They leave a pretty vicious bite too! They should of named them Sid Vicious !

I was trying to think of how to do a pattern for these guys since there's a ton around where I usually fish but I think an Adams or Parachute Adams in size 12 would probably do alright... and they're scary as all hell when you see one or they land on you but I've never been bitten by one

Robber fly, they are predacious, catch other insects and suck them dry. They come in large and small sizes, some even look like bumble bees.

Sucking up some Lady Bug juice, yummy!
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

What a great photo! It struck me as funny that robber flies are big, thorny, mean-ass looking bugs and then they have these little Loony Tunes antennae. I guess when you're as big and mean as they are, no one makes fun of your antennae.