Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergers -- Need a mayfly emerger

Great Video... Thanks....

Dan's advice is spot on, more often it's the type of water and feeding lanes that will dictate which pattern to use. My go to PMD emerger is the sparkle dun. It has passed with flying colors on the Little Truckee, the Fall, and the Lower Yuba by both my guests and myself. Your presentation is often more important than the pattern and why a "fly first" drift downstream is so successful, trout only see the fly coming into their vision with no leader or line to alert them of immediate danger. Quigley's cripple works too well, for whatever reason those fish take it so deep that it can be a problem when removing the fly, even when barbless.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Thank you so much. I did a ton of research and learned a few things....

Trinity trout are selective. The key for me was a long leader and perfect presentation. I got the recommended emerger pattern from The Fly Shop, verified by someone with a seine, and it still didn't work. I bought a great pattern (1/2 quill, 1/2 dubbing) and modified it myself, using Z-Lon for the tail and little more hackle It's been amazing. I then went into "predator mode" and only cast to rising fishing. I caught 2 fish last night, and caught the biggest fish of my life on a dry fly. I'm not great at measuring, but after looking at pics of 10 lb fish, I'm guessing this one went 7 lbs, caught on a 2wt Orvis Superfine with my beloved CFO reel with a long 4lb fluorocarbon tippet and a size 16 fly.

The key was an absolutely perfect cast I was actually 5 feet from the shore (not in the river) when I made the cast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trout.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	7277

I'm going to look up the suggested patterns and start tying them. I am pretty ignorant about emergers, and it's time I start using them. The only ones I've used are the WD-40 and the EC/2 (Ralph Cutter's caddis) and they have both worked great.
    Last edited by goby; 07-14-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Can't say enough about the Klinkhamer. It creates a pretty sexy fly.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".