Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergers -- Need a mayfly emerger

Default Emergers -- Need a mayfly emerger

Yesterday emergers kicked my butt. Huge trout were taking PMD emergers and wouldn't touch my dry.

So what is the go to emerger for a PMD hatch? I'm guessing the emergers were right under the surface since I could see the trout's back, but never their mouth, and there was nothing on the surface when the took the fly.

The dries were about a size 16 or so. Does that mean I should use a size 16 emerger?

I have the fly tying book "Emergers" but I was wondering what worked in Northern California, and in particular, the Trinity River.

Thanks!

Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Pheasant tail tied emerger style or cripple style works well for PMD's. The trouble with PMD's is they can vary a lot in color. Some areas they're cinnamon brown and in others they can be a pale yellow with a touch of pink on the head. So it helps if you know what the local variation looks like and then just modify your favorite emerger pattern with those colors.

I like Klinkhamers and tie them up in size/colors to match. The pmd one is pale dubbing over dark thread and it seems to work. I have had luck upsizing by one size (16 should be tied on a 14 hook) and just use a light wire scud hook as opposed to the Klinkhamer hook. They are a more general impression that are caddis-y or mayfly-y, which is nice for me because it is less flies overall.

Quote Originally Posted by goby View Post
    Yesterday emergers kicked my butt. Huge trout were taking PMD emergers and wouldn't touch my dry.

So what is the go to emerger for a PMD hatch? I'm guessing the emergers were right under the surface since I could see the trout's back, but never their mouth, and there was nothing on the surface when the took the fly.

The dries were about a size 16 or so. Does that mean I should use a size 16 emerger?

I have the fly tying book "Emergers" but I was wondering what worked in Northern California, and in particular, the Trinity River.

Thanks!

GILLIGANS ROCK AS DOES QUIGLEY'S CRIPPLE

http://gilligansguideservice.com/flies_and_hatches.html

DHE (Deer Hair Emerger from Bob Wyatt) is a super easy tie and works well for me. Sometimes a little tough to see but I think most low-riders are.

edit: I use TMC 2487
    Last edited by EricW; 07-01-2013 at 01:41 PM.

2nd Quigley's cripple as well as his "extendo" pattern.

Fly choice depends a lot on your water type. If the water is more riffly glides, maybe try a cripple, hackle stacker or a sparkle dun type pattern. For picky fish in really flat water I like CDC patterns, along the lines of Rene Harrops emerger or even CDC RS2s and F flies.

http://flypatternsfortrout.com/2011/...biot-emergers/
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 07-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Goby,

In recent years that hatch (since the T got the elevated spring hydrograph) has become difficult at best, and absolutely maddening in the worst case scenario (i.e. most of the time). Prior to the elevated spring flows, the fish didn’t usually start getting uber selective until ~mid-August. The hatch by my account has also become shorter in duration and with not nearly as many bugs on the water as previous years. As a result, the “big heads” with lots of real estate from snout to fork tend to work much wider feeding lanes and their movements are much more difficult to isolate. The bugs I use for this particular hatch are as follows:

That pale (not the luminescent) fiber-tailed para-dun pattern that Herb sells when the fish are on the duns.

A Quigley style calibaetis cripple with a wing of coastal deer hair dyed pale yellow when the fish are on emergers in the film:
    http://www.danica.com/flytier/sschal...is_cripple.htm

A size 14-18 Monroe leech style pattern (as the nymph) with an natural ostrich herl tail and body suspended 2-3 inches under the film by some biostrike putty for the situation you describe where the fish are bulging the film, but not breaking the film with their heads.

The Monroe style nymph pattern can be modified by putting a small “bump” of yellow biostrike putty on the top of the fly to simulate a bug splitting the case. A few minutes of exposure to the 95+ degree heat is usually enough to secure the biostrike to the bug.

Overcast the feeding lanes and Hat Creek Skate the bugs into position. Concentrate on short drifts.

When all the above fails (which in recent years for me is more often than not…) I note the locations of the big heads and beat up on ‘em when they’re not locked into the hatch with a Neil Rea style muddler with a pearlescent white body, and a crystal flash and olive arctic fox wing on 0X tippet on an fairly fast greaseline. Try to control the sideways tension so the muddler “dives” in front of the lanes the fish are working the PMDs.

I swing soft hackle pheasant tails, red fox squirrel tails and tan birds nest.

good to see the Klinkhamer isn't a forgotten fly!