Thread: bootleg campground west walker

Default bootleg campground west walker

Has anyone every stayed there and how's the fishing in that section? I had planned a bachelor party for my brother and it turns out the campground we had planned on is closed for summer cuz of PG&E work.

I'm looking for something a little secluded so we can be extra rowdy and not be in close quarters with families. And obviously where there is some decent fishing.

Bootleg campground seems like a good choice but not sure how the river will be fishing mid july

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated right now as I'm really struggling to find something that will work. We've got about 9 guys going and only a few fisherman

I camped at the Bootleg campground about 12 years ago. The river is right across the highway from the CG, and I think that's a stretch that they stock pretty heavily. I caught fish, but I don't recall it being all that hot. I was really just passing through though and could've hit it at the wrong time. The campground was fine, nothing special, though being a short walk from the river was nice. It did strike me as being a less-busy spot, so you and the boys might find a corner of the place to raise a little hell in. You'd also be a short drive from Bridgeport and the East Walker.

If only a few of you fish, what do the rest of the guys expect to be doing? Emigrant and Hoover Wilderness Areas are nearby with great hiking. I'd see if there's a store in Bridgeport you can call to get a report on the area, maybe a projection on how things will be in July and places to fish.

Hey, if this doesn't work out, there's always Vegas!

Thanks Braden. We're definitely keeping it in mind. My guess is the river is going to be veeeery low by july.

Those who don't fish will probably just drink beer and make up a frisbee golf course or something. We're all easily entertained

Might want to check Green Creek just south of Bridgeport. Dusty ride in with Green Lake campground at the end. Beautiful valley with creek running thru it and short hike to Green Lakes for Brook Trout. There are places to commando camp along creek before campground that could give you some privacy. I've never fished the creek, but 10+ years ago I did see some nice browns come out of it to worm fishers.

Another spot to check would be the campgrounds at Virginia Lakes, south of Bridgeport off Conway Summit. Not much running water, but plenty of high elevation lakes to fish.