Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New setup for salmon steelhead

Go for the Spey! 6 wt is my choice for local winter steel, but if you want a rod to do the work for both species I would up size to a 7. Truthfully this is an addiction and I would drop some coin and get yourself a 6 wt for steel and a 8 wt for the kings, because in little time you will own a arsenal of speys 2wt - 8wt

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Go for the Spey! 6 wt is my choice for local winter steel, but if you want a rod to do the work for both species I would up size to a 7. Truthfully this is an addiction and I would drop some coin and get yourself a 6 wt for steel and a 8 wt for the kings, because in little time you will own a arsenal of speys 2wt - 8wt
    Hate to say it but he speaketh the truth! Might as well just have your paycheck direct deposited to your local FF shop. Be careful, very careful, this stuff can get addictive. On the bright side, it really is a fantastic way to fish and it does open up lots of water. I recently cracked the can o worms on the spey thing this last fall and it's really added a lot of enjoyment to my fishing. I couldn't even begin to put a dollar figure on how much fun I have with it.

As to your question, you could liken it to: "I want to fish for trout, what 5wt should I get"; the reality is it really depends on where you want to fish, and with what kinds of flies/presentations. For Steelhead, I picked up a nice 7wt spey this spring that I've been swinging a bit here and there when/where I can just to get a feel for it, and honestly I am pretty happy to have the ability to sling a bit heavier lines/tips and some bulkier flies with a lot less effort (for SH). There are those who don't fish as heavy of gear (or water) and would be better suited with a 5 or 6wt (switch or spey), but again it just depends on what you want to throw at em and where/how you want to show it to em.

For Salmon, I've done ok here and there on 8wt single hand rods, and a 6wt switch rod *some* of the time; and I've also had my butt kicked a few times where they basically just ran and ran and ran and I couldn't turn them. In all cases I wasn't actively targeting Salmon, but it was pretty clear that I'd hooked into something a fair bit bigger than your average Steelhead. I could easily see how one could break a rod on some of these bigger kings, something to consider too...
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Hate to say it but he speaketh the truth! Might as well just have your paycheck direct deposited to your local FF shop. Be careful, very careful, this stuff can get addictive. On the bright side, it really is a fantastic way to fish and it does open up lots of water. I recently cracked the can o worms on the spey thing this last fall and it's really added a lot of enjoyment to my fishing. I couldn't even begin to put a dollar figure on how much fun I have with it.

As to your question, you could liken it to: "I want to fish for trout, what 5wt should I get"; the reality is it really depends on where you want to fish, and with what kinds of flies/presentations. For Steelhead, I picked up a nice 7wt spey this spring that I've been swinging a bit here and there when/where I can just to get a feel for it, and honestly I am pretty happy to have the ability to sling a bit heavier lines/tips and some bulkier flies with a lot less effort (for SH). There are those who don't fish as heavy of gear (or water) and would be better suited with a 5 or 6wt (switch or spey), but again it just depends on what you want to throw at em and where/how you want to show it to em.

For Salmon, I've done ok here and there on 8wt single hand rods, and a 6wt switch rod *some* of the time; and I've also had my butt kicked a few times where they basically just ran and ran and ran and I couldn't turn them. In all cases I wasn't actively targeting Salmon, but it was pretty clear that I'd hooked into something a fair bit bigger than your average Steelhead. I could easily see how one could break a rod on some of these bigger kings, something to consider too...
    JB
    Its why I plan on getting a 9wt TCX Spey rod especially since they will be on the discontinue list soon and the prices will drop a little.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thanks all. I decided to buy the setup my friend was selling. I wanted a rod for both salmon and steelhead. I have heard a lot of good things about the sage one, but that alone is too much for me.

See you all on the rivers.

A seven weight in the 13 foot range is a nice all-around spey rod for California. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

Default change your mind - TFO pro special for $69 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by FishyMe View Post
    Thanks all. I decided to buy the setup my friend was selling. I wanted a rod for both salmon and steelhead. I have heard a lot of good things about the sage one, but that alone is too much for me.

See you all on the rivers.
    you're not going to come anywhere close to landing a king salmon with anything less than an 8wt -which would be significantly underpowered, so is a 9wt, and it would really be better if you had a 10wt for this fish. It's not the same as those rubber "steelhead" that swim into the hatchery; and those 18"er's that are occasionally caught are not the real McCoy either. Many of the kings run 20# and up, and even a #15 fish will fold a 6wt like a toothpick. Honestly, I have caught them on 8wts, and I wouldn't do it again.

If you hook a king at all on an 8wt, which isn't guaranteed on a fly, it will take awhile and a net to land it. Change your mind on your friend's rig; he can keep it - you can go to sportsmen's warehouse in Rocklin; they have a pail of TFO pro "special"s for $69 bucks; 5 and 8 wts; that's $80 bucks off. I have one as a backup. It works. I think they're clearing out the blanks, as there is a new TFO pro "II" for $149 (regular price).

An 8wt is NOT too much for true steelhead.

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    @ Mike R. The op was saying he wants to fish for salmon no mention of SH. Just saying and salmon can sure run on you once hooked! I got two on my 7wt Sage One spey and wish I wouldn't have hooked into them because they can over power you pretty easy.

You are correct, other than in the title, he doesn't mention steelhead.
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    you're not going to come anywhere close to landing a king salmon with anything less than an 8wt -which would be significantly underpowered, so is a 9wt, and it would really be better if you had a 10wt for this fish. It's not the same as those rubber "steelhead" that swim into the hatchery; and those 18"er's that are occasionally caught are not the real McCoy either. Many of the kings run 20# and up, and even a #15 fish will fold a 6wt like a toothpick. Honestly, I have caught them on 8wts, and I wouldn't do it again.

If you hook a king at all on an 8wt, which isn't guaranteed on a fly, it will take awhile and a net to land it. Change your mind on your friend's rig; he can keep it - you can go to sportsmen's warehouse in Rocklin; they have a pail of TFO pro "special"s for $69 bucks; 5 and 8 wts; that's $80 bucks off. I have one as a backup. It works. I think they're clearing out the blanks, as there is a new TFO pro "II" for $149 (regular price).

An 8wt is NOT too much for true steelhead.

This ^^^

I've hooked a fair number or really fresh kings on a fly rod and it ain't that fun, no matter how heavy a rod you have. Just seems like a lot of work after a while
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

I believe he is talking Spey rod. A two hand 8 wt would be equivalant to a 10 wt single hander. I have landed a dime bright 23 lb king on a 8wt single hander and it was a battle. If you were talking kings in Alaska / BC I would say 9-10 two hander. For the valley a 8 wt two hander.