Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New setup for salmon steelhead

Default New setup for salmon steelhead

I would like to get a 8wt rod to try fly fishing for salmon on the American this year. I would like to spend no more $400 for everything. Any recommendations? I fly fish but not often. Would it be best for a switch (will be new to switch), single hand or Spey rod?

Thanks for all your help.

Might want to check out at least 9wt rods for single hand system. People will have different opinions but these fish can battle when hooked.

For switch rods I would check out at least a 8wt rod and no less. Spey you can catch then with a 7wt rod but they will have lots of power to put a damn good bend on the rod. I have hooked a few salmon with my 7wt Sage One spey rod and a fish that looked to be about a 20lbs hen gave me no control over the fight.
    Last edited by winxp_man; 06-19-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thanks for the info. If anyone has a 9 wt they are looking to let go, let me know.

Check out Albright. Their top of the line rods are on sale at great savings right now. You might want to check them out on line.

TFO has various rod models that should fit well within your budget

I'm gonna crack the can o' worms (its the SH forum, after all). You do not need an 8 or 9 wt to fish steelhead on the American (or almost anywhere). Trust me, after holding the rod all day fishing a bobicator, you will want a fast action 6 or 7 wt. They are much lighter and if you learn how to fight fish correctly, you'll never feel undergunned.

If you're gonna swing, get a 6 or 7 wt. switch or spey. A 14' 9 wt spey rod is extreme overkill for just about any fish that swims. A 12'6" to 13' 7 wt spey rod will be perfect for everything on the West Coast.

Now, if you plan on salmon fishing, sure, get a little beefier (salmon-only) rod. But if you want something to fight foul-hooked salmon when you're SH fishing, get whatever you want.

Look into just about any 9'6" to 10' 6-7 wt rod with a fighting butt.

Mike
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Would a 12'9 7wt spey be good? I have a friend selling a redington cpx with a cablas wlx reel with line for $300 shipped.

not a bad choice but heavy for the American unless you really plan on targeting salmon - I would opt for a 5 or 6 wt for the Sac rivers. The 7 would be a good choice for coastal rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    not a bad choice but heavy for the American unless you really plan on targeting salmon - I would opt for a 5 or 6 wt for the Sac rivers. The 7 would be a good choice for coastal rivers

Rick is right on here. That 7129 is gonna be pretty heavy for the valley.. Something in the 12'6" 6 wt range is a pretty good spey rod for our rivers.
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
    Rick is right on here. That 7129 is gonna be pretty heavy for the valley.. Something in the 12'6" 6 wt range is a pretty good spey rod for our rivers.

Actually I had all of the SH this year hooked with a 7wt Sage One spey and glad I have the 7wt rod. A friend of mine that hooked and caught quite a few steelhead this year on the American river with a Sage One 6wt spey and after watching me fight a few fish said he should have gotten a 7 wt rod.

Here is the specs for the Redington spey rods.

CPX 12664 SPEY 12'6" 6 7.1oz
    CPX 12974 SPEY 12'9" 7 7.7oz

I don't know how much .6 oz will make that you can tell the difference in weight.

@ Mike R. The op was saying he wants to fish for salmon no mention of SH. Just saying and salmon can sure run on you once hooked! I got two on my 7wt Sage One spey and wish I wouldn't have hooked into them because they can over power you pretty easy.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"