Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vest alternatives --- Fishpond Backpack/Chestpack Combos

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
    I've spent a great deal of time researching this exact thing. My conclusion is get yourself a ghillie.

Trust me, you'll never go back to using vests, packs, slingabobs etc.
    You have to carry the Ghillie using a Fireman's Carry and that prevents casting...the one I had in England carried everything in a shoulder bag that was similar to a "Messenger" bag...I use a Wood River Bag when I don't use a vest.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
    I've been very happy with the REI Flash 18 backpack. It takes a camelback, holds my lunch rainjacket and fishing gear, and only costs $34. After I hike to my destination I place a small fly box (Cliff's Days Worth) floatant split-shot and a few (cough! cough!) bobbers in my shirt pocket. I keep my tools and tippet on a homemade lanyard. Sometimes I'll keep a larger fly box in the pack, but most of the time I keep it light.

My Simms waist pack is great when I'm staying close to the truck, but for hiking it's just too much dead weight. I do 10+ miles a day with the Flash pack and hardly notice it. By keeping it light and simple my backcountry fishing has become less of a hassle and far more enjoyable.
    The Flash 18 is a cool little pack. Weighs nothing, and the suspension is great for controlling the little bundle if you chose to keep it on your back. Flip it inside out and it's a nice stuff sack if you are doing a day trip out of base camp backpacking.

_SHig

I have been through a ton of vests, packs, etc...

The best so far for me has been the Patagonia Stealth Atom Sling....

It is up high on your back and out of the way until you need it, then it rotates to the front for easy access. It holds a water bottle as well...

I was also very surprised as to how much gear it holds......more than I use in a day for sure.....