Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vest alternatives --- Fishpond Backpack/Chestpack Combos

Ed-
    For canyoning I just wear a daypack (Osprey Stratos. . . love it! Or Patagonia Stormfront if there are going to be some swims) and a shirt with cargo pockets. Usually need only one fly box, a couple of tippet spools, nippers and floatant. Like you, I've ever been happy with the combo vest/day pack rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Ed-
    For canyoning I just wear a daypack (Osprey Stratos. . . love it! Or Patagonia Stormfront if there are going to be some swims) and a shirt with cargo pockets. Usually need only one fly box, a couple of tippet spools, nippers and floatant. Like you, I've ever been happy with the combo vest/day pack rigs.
    I love my Osprey. That's an idea....

+1 for Osprey packs. They are soooo comfortable and really well designed. Like others I have found a small pack to be the ticket. Don't change setups often enough to warrant having a pack on my chest (to hot in the canyons where I fish).
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

I tried on a chest pack. I hated it.

I might get the Umpqua waist pack. I like it. I still haven't tried a sling.

Here's my update.....

I bought an inexpensive waist pack from The Fly Shop. I absolutely love it. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that the Umpqua has, but I liked the price (less than half).

I just purchased the Umqua Ledges 500 waistpack the other day. All I can say is its awesome. Very comfortable and no sag. I looked at a bunch of waistpacks, Tried them on, but the Umqua I say beats them all. A very well thought out pack.
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

I've spent a great deal of time researching this exact thing. My conclusion is get yourself a ghillie.

Trust me, you'll never go back to using vests, packs, slingabobs etc.
    Don Gustafson

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
    I've spent a great deal of time researching this exact thing. My conclusion is get yourself a ghillie.

Trust me, you'll never go back to using vests, packs, slingabobs etc.

Lol, too hot though...
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Quote Originally Posted by k9mark View Post
    I just purchased the Umqua Ledges 500 waistpack the other day. All I can say is its awesome. Very comfortable and no sag. I looked at a bunch of waistpacks, Tried them on, but the Umqua I say beats them all. A very well thought out pack.
    I'm glad I got my waist pack, because it was cheap and I didn't know if I would like it. But that Umpqua 500 looks amazing.

I've been very happy with the REI Flash 18 backpack. It takes a camelback, holds my lunch rainjacket and fishing gear, and only costs $34. After I hike to my destination I place a small fly box (Cliff's Days Worth) floatant split-shot and a few (cough! cough!) bobbers in my shirt pocket. I keep my tools and tippet on a homemade lanyard. Sometimes I'll keep a larger fly box in the pack, but most of the time I keep it light.

My Simms waist pack is great when I'm staying close to the truck, but for hiking it's just too much dead weight. I do 10+ miles a day with the Flash pack and hardly notice it. By keeping it light and simple my backcountry fishing has become less of a hassle and far more enjoyable.