Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vest alternatives --- Fishpond Backpack/Chestpack Combos

Default Vest alternatives --- Fishpond Backpack/Chestpack Combos

I'm looking at using something other than a vest. I figure backpacks must be much more comfortable. I also want a hydration bag.

So are most of you still using a vest? Have you started using the new products from Fishpond, Orvis, Patagonia, etc?

I'm wondering if there is something better than my classic Orvis Tak-L vest. Thanks!

William Joseph make some good packs. I've had the older version of the Exodus for a while and really like it. You can take off the front pockets and just use the pack by itself.
    patrick

I use a camelback. Vests look cool, but I always thought they would get very hot in the summer? I hate having to take the pack off to change flies, but it does slow me down which is sometimes a good thing. Any comments on this?
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

I hate 'em all. The one I hate the least is the Umpqua Ledge 650 hip pack. Holds lots of stuff, but keeps it well organized unlike many of the other hip packs. Has an aluminum stay which keeps the pack off the small of your back so it ventilates well. It also swings around to the front VERY easily which makes it nice for changing tippet, flies, etc.

Hydration bladder - meh. Fishing means water. Get one of those small water filter straws from REI and you can suck directly from the river if you are at some lovely place like below the homeless camp on the American.

I just want something that holds a water bottle. Lost another one out of my Simms hip pack today on the Stanislaus.

Goby,
    The sling packs are a consideration. I use the Orvis Safe Passage model for the surf. I can fit it underneath my waders to
    keep it from being doused with saltwater. Kiene carries the Patagonia Stealth Atomic(?) sling pack and it is very
    popular.
    Best,
    Larry S

I haven't used a vest in years. I've got 2 chest packs and a sling. I don't use the sling. It looks cool, but doesn't hold much. The pack I use now has a backpack too. Think I've got both Fishpond and William Joseph packs.

I use a small Timbuk2 messenger bag. It is fairly water proof and hold what I need.
    Take it easy. If it's easy, take it twice.

Ralph, have you given any thought to designing a pack for canyon fishing? Some sanity based front pockets for fly boxes and a backpack for some lunch and water bottles for the 2 or 3 hr climb back out? I've way overpaid many times trying to find one that just does this. To no avail. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to design something like that. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by goby View Post
    I'm looking at using something other than a vest. I figure backpacks must be much more comfortable. I also want a hydration bag.

So are most of you still using a vest? Have you started using the new products from Fishpond, Orvis, Patagonia, etc?

I'm wondering if there is something better than my classic Orvis Tak-L vest. Thanks!

ditched the vest years ago and now use a backpack. I don't mind the extra baggage it's still way better than a vest. Plus i can carry beer, camera, lunch, a light sweatshirt and water in it. If I stop in an area and end up fishing for a while I will take the pack off. Orvis carries a great one with two chest pockets for gear.