Thread: Anybody been to the Lower Dean River Lodge in Aug/Sept?

Default Anybody been to the Lower Dean River Lodge in Aug/Sept?

I'll be up there this year. Any reason to take a one-hander or it is all Spey?

Any stories? Real or stretched truth?

Should I just stay home and give you the spot?

Odd year big pink salmon run. It will be hard to find steel with all those little rats around.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn kempkes View Post
    Odd year big pink salmon run. It will be hard to find steel with all those little rats around.
    To the extent this is true it only applies below the canyon. Neither the humpies nor the chum can climb the canyon. I doubt anyone from the Lower Dean Lodge will be fishing below the falls given the lodge's location.

I fish out of BC West in August and we do fish the lower two miles from the salt to the canyon. Yes, there can be a great many salmon and they do occupy most of the holding water. You learn quickly to pick up before your fly completes the swing and one is well advised to fish the tailouts and faster water a little more carefully than usual because the steelhead are still there. No such problem exists above the canyon and August is a tremendous time to fish a dry line with skaters.

The Dean is one of the greatest fisheries in N. America and anyone who has a chance to fish it should do so. Don't let anything or anybody dissuade you.

You can fish a lot of the runs with a single hander though I've not seen anyone do so. After all, why would you if you know how to use a spey rod? Your fly is in the water a whole lot longer when you fish a two-hander whether you're a T&G caster or use a water-borne anchor. That increased efficiency can make the difference between a two fish day and a four fish day.
    Last edited by sisyphusmpn; 06-15-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphusmpn View Post
    To the extent this is true it only applies below the canyon. Neither the humpies nor the chum can climb the canyon. I doubt anyone from the Lower Dean Lodge will be fishing below the falls given the lodge's location.

I fish out of BC West in August and we do fish the lower two miles from the salt to the canyon. Yes, there can be a great many salmon and they do occupy most of the holding water. You learn quickly to pick up before your fly completes the swing and one is well advised to fish the tailouts and faster water a little more carefully than usual because the steelhead are still there. No such problem exists above the canyon and August is a tremendous time to fish a dry line with skaters.

The Dean is one of the greatest fisheries in N. America and anyone who has a chance to fish it should do so. Don't let anything or anybody dissuade you.

You can fish a lot of the runs with a single hander though I've not seen anyone do so. After all, why would you if you know how to use a spey rod? Your fly is in the water a whole lot longer when you fish a two-hander whether you're a T&G caster or use a water-borne anchor. That increased efficiency can make the difference between a two fish day and a four fish day.

you are right. I have been to the Dean and it is an Amazing place. Didn't know stewarts lodge changed hands and its name. On a side note some guys I know caught chums above the canyon on a high water year.

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphusmpn View Post
    I doubt anyone from the Lower Dean Lodge will be fishing below the falls given the lodge's location.
    That's what I was told.

I think I'll leave my one-handers at home.