Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hat Creek SUCKS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Interesting comment coming from someone calling themself "wineslob". Now if you called yourself "beerslob"...

Sortakinda a pot and kettle thing?

Just sayin' is all...

JGB(a BMW driver...when my wife lets me)

Heh, not a "snob" about wine (it's meant to be the opposite)..........though I won't turn my nose up to a good glass.

The reason I didn't "like" Hat was (sorry guys) the other fishermen. Just a little too snobby. I literally was "looked down upon" by more than one person there. I was in blue jeans, a well-worn vest and using a rod and reel that may have cost me $100 bucks. I was just a little too "low brow".
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Mike O Guest

Heh...sounds like when I walk into an Orvis store.
    Do what I do at the PH riffle. Nymph with the smallest red and white fishin' bobber you can find...and when you hook one, whoop and holler like a little kid....the last part is optional, because it is annoying. The li'l bobber really turns their head when they are using "indicators". Works better than any other I have seen, to boot!

the fish at the botton of PH 2 riffle probably see more drifts in a week than most trout see in a lifetime. They are very picky fish.

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    Last time I went there I felt out of place not driving a BMW, Mercedes,..............

There was actually a guy wet fishing there (no waders, I guess that's whats it's called). And he caught 2-3 fish. Maybe that's the secret of Hat Creek.

BTW, this week I stayed home in Trinity County, and over 2 days caught about 30 trout. One took me to my backing (first time ever!)

Kind of funny ..... mention 'Hat Creek' and everyone imagines the area from Cassel downstream . Hat is a beautiful little Freestone way up high , from below Old Station to the Badger Mountain area - get away from the campgrounds/highway turnouts , and there's some really great fishing to be had without massive pressure .

Not that it relates to this thread .... but my oldest memories are of playing around Cassel and camping at Brush Mountain when I was about 2 years old .

D.~

Although I havent been up there for a few years, it always seemed like fish would move in and out of the PH2 riffle. Sometimes there arent that many fish in there.

Also, the number one reason I people don't catch too many fish: they are fishing flies about 4 sizes too big.
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

You should have been here yesterday!

... in Hat Creek's case, yesterday was forty years ago.
    Don Gustafson

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
    You should have been here yesterday!

... in Hat Creek's case, yesterday was forty years ago.
    Absolutely! I remember fishing a mid-May evening caddis hatch with my Dad in the early '70s. We were doing well, and in the last hour we each took a number of fish in the 14-16" class. Just before dark a bunch of BIG fish started rising. We had a dozen or so fish over 20" up rising rhythmically in casting range. Just before it was too dark we each hooked big rainbows. My Dad's broke off, mine was my best ever dry fly fish to hand, a deep bodied fish that taped just under 24".....