Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hat Creek SUCKS!!!!

Default Hat Creek SUCKS!!!!

I had the weekend off, and decided to go to Hat Creek. I've heard so much about this spring creek, and the PH2 riffle. BTW, I've been fly fishing for 15 years, mainly in smaller creeks and rivers.

I was there on Friday evening, and Saturday morning. I caught exactly 1 fish, and it was about 8 inches. There were a few people there, there wasn't much happening. I saw a few fish caught, but not enough to justify a visit. I had great success and a lot more fun on the Upper Sac the prior week. Although Hat Creek is beautiful, I was stunned at the lack of fish. On Saturday there were only 3 of us there. And only 1 or 2 fish caught.

So what did I do wrong? Do I suck as a fly fisher, or is Hat Creek not really the great place I read about? I spoke to the other fly fisher there who said Hat Creek was amazing in the 90's, but it's just not the same.

PS: This is a lighthearted thread. I'm sure Hat Creek doesn't really suck. lol

Mike O Guest

Lower lower hat has always been the place for me.

Now you tell me! lol

I thought PH2 was the place to be.

That doesn't sound like the Hat Creek I fish! Try one of these next time you go, It works for me every time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gregs midge.jpg 
Views:	443 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	7162  

We where very lucky to have been able to fish it in the 1970s when it was a "big deal".

It was much deeper with very nice wild trout.

It had lots of diverse insect hatches but was still very challenging for most.

I think it has silted in and has no deep water now.

May/June and October have been the prime months for me.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Bob Quigley was up there in those days and he actually taught many of us "wannabees" how to "match-the-hatch" and fish small exacting patterns on long leaders with light tippets in the surface, "down stream" on the flat smooth water to feeding trout.

Bob Quigley had a huge impact on our sport....thanks Bob.

I would rather fish the hatches and work on feeding wild fish, maybe not catching very many fish in a day, but to me that is "real fly fishing".

Too fool a wild trout in the surface use to be what fly fishing was when I started......now it seems to be indicator fishing for high numbers of fish for most.

Here is a little video that shows what I am talking about.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zffpa9XKQw

I hear there might be plans to rehab lower Hat Creek? I think it needs to be dredged.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That river you linked Bill is pretty remarkable. I've been fishing it a good number of years and its pretty ridiculous. I don't know anywhere you can catch fish like that, as consistently with dry flies all day long. Its too bad its starting to get blown up and there's people crawling all over these days. At least its far off the beaten path.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

May have to watch that every morning to get my day going!

Last time I went there I felt out of place not driving a BMW, Mercedes,..............

"For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    Last time I went there I felt out of place not driving a BMW, Mercedes,..............

Interesting comment coming from someone calling themself "wineslob". Now if you called yourself "beerslob"...

Sortakinda a pot and kettle thing?

Just sayin' is all...

JGB(a BMW driver...when my wife lets me)
    Last edited by JGB; 06-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    I never feel that way. I just fish.