Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am sure some of you have read this

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Be intelligent about where you source your water, but don't be afraid to get down on your belly and drink the cold clean water from a High Sierra brook. It is one of finer pleasures in life.
    What's up with people liking unfiltered water? It seems really really stupid. And I can think of about a millions things that are better than drinking unfiltered water. I backpack all the time, sometimes in very remote areas. I always have my filter with me.

From what I have read (a decent amount) the risk is fairly minimal. I do filter my water (why take the chance). But I think Ralph's point is that most of the reason everyone filters water is hysteria created over risks that are really low. You could get attacked by a mountain lion, does that mean you're going to quit hiking? To each their own...
    A.K.A. Colfaxtroutman

OK so went backpacking for 5 days couple of weeks ago out of South Lake - Bishop area. Camped at Bishop Lake, Dusy Basin #3, and Ruawau Lake. Scenery was great and Bishop Pass has been on my list for years. Another one checked off the 20 or so I've done in the high country since age 12. This trail gets some of the highest use anywhere in the Sierra I have ever seen. Trail reminded me of the highways at Tuolumne Meadows. Mid-week I saw at least 20 campsites in the backcountry and it makes sense since only 5.5 miles from trailhead to pass. Very easy by Eastern Sierra standards. Wouldn't ya know it in the scramble to pack my backpack at 6:00am in order get an early start on the trail what do I forget? You guessed it the MSR Water Filter. So had to drink from the snowmelt water that was surrounded in Marmot poo at Dusy and camped at Ruwau Lake that had more evidence of outdoor human toilets than I care to share all within 50 feet of the lake. Never boiled the water once, just drank it with the Crystal Light in for some flavor. Not a thing. No Giardia or anything else.

Drink the Sierra water folks. It's safer than what most people on this planet are allowed.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

El Rey,
    I was a staff brat 59,60,61 and a scout 64,65,66. Wonderful memories. New pretty much everything that was going on between upper falls and lower falls. Had a blast.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Randy

Default I think I'll still opt to filter

Not to be antagonistic, nor swim against the tide here as there seems to be a majority of folks who seem to prefer to forgo the filter.... BUT... I really still fail to see good reason to not do a quick filter of the water before consumption. I have drank straight from a mountain stream (untreated in any way) once or twice out of necessity, and nope I didn't get any ill affects from the experience. Those few times it just did the job, no sickness, no sublimely exotic pleasure either; but it sure did quench my thirst.

I still opt for a filter if at all possible, or boil it if I have the option. The issue for me is that although the risks may be small, I have no way of really judging those risks visually while out in the mountains. I don't really see this as being overprotective or paranoid, but by all means, I'm all for choosing ones own risks and all so don't filter if you're that comfortable with it. I still don't really see any compelling reasons for me to skip the filter personally since the water is pretty much the same color, taste, temperature, and consistency regardless if I filter it or not. I just don't see the added "value" or "experience", it's the same water either way.

Just for your further consideration: Just last week I rode in a van with no seatbelt on, and it turned out just fine... but I still wear one *almost* all the time. There's no way that I would let a small amount of risk stop me from experiencing any of life's pleasures, but if I can minimize those small risks while not missing out on any of the fun I fail to see why I wouldn't do so...
    Cheers,
    JB

(p.s. this is still an interesting, and hopeful discussion to me. glad to hear so many anecdotal stories from those who have never had any problems drinking our water "straight from the source")

Growing up on the upper reaches of the Smith River the house had an intricate water filtration system.......window screen over the intake to keep leaves, twigs, and frogs out of the system. I've consumed many gallons of water out of tributaries and the main Smith River. However, in the Sierras there is so much traffic that I would be careful about drinking any water that was downstream from any place people had been.......

Mike O Guest

To throw something else into the mix...

If one swims in the Sierra streams/lakes, I fail to see how one can avoid taking ANY bad stuff into one's system. And ow about soaking them beers?

Mike