Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am sure some of you have read this

When I contracted G. back then, I had a stool test done, and it was positive.
    Had to use the "Cancer causing" Flagyl .to get over it.
    Wouldn't disagree with Ralph on anything.....but I'll continue to filter.
    Nice cold water, and no worries.
    Once was enough.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-15-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Hey Jim-
    Feel free to disagree with me!! I'm usually wrong anyway.
    Flagyl is no fun. . . especially not being able to drink (unfiltered) beer while taking it. If you get giardiasis again ask your doc for Tinidazol rather than Flagyl. It's a one shot dose that is just as effective as Flagyl and you can back to drinking a whole week sooner.
    http://www.giardiasis.org/Treatment.aspx

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Do you think conditions have changed over the last 20 years or so, with infection becoming more likely? When I was a kid growing up in Colorado, we carried a tin cup on our belt and when thirsty we just dipped one out of whatever stream we were on. The only places we didn't do that was when downstream of known cattle pastures. But if we were in the high country, we drank the water without filter and I don't recall anyone ever getting sick. Now days, they recommend you filter everywhere, even a little trickle melt water runoff from a snow field at tree level.

It is a sign of our over-protective times. Back in the day skinned knees were a badge of childhood, today they are a sign of child abuse. I drink the water, hike alone, don't wear SPF XX sunscreen, and don't carry an approved 1st aid kit much less a signal mirror or cell phone. According to all the warnings I should have died decades ago.

Enter a California State Park and you have to shoulder past billboards warning of the presence of ticks, lions, rattlesnakes, poison oak, swift water, submerged rocks, undertow. . . I'm still waiting for the sign that simply says, "Have a good day".

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    It is a sign of our over-protective times. Back in the day skinned knees were a badge of childhood, today they are a sign of child abuse. I drink the water, hike alone, don't wear SPF XX sunscreen, and don't carry an approved 1st aid kit much less a signal mirror or cell phone. According to all the warnings I should have died decades ago.

Enter a California State Park and you have to shoulder past billboards warning of the presence of ticks, lions, rattlesnakes, poison oak, swift water, submerged rocks, undertow. . . I'm still waiting for the sign that simply says, "Have a good day".
    Amen, Ralph!
    I grew up fishin' and hikin' the Sierra. Drank where ever we felt thirsty and never "caught" any "bugs"... The one caveat though, we never drank from the North Fork of the Stanislaus anywhere below the Wolfeboro Boy Scout Camp!
    Nowadays one wonders why we are not all dead from all the "gremlins" out to get us!

Mike

Good advice about the water below Wolfeboro. Having spent five summers in my youth at Wolfeboro I remember what kids do/did in the water. However, on our hikes to Spicer and Elephant Rock we would refresh and dip our cups in various springs along the trail--but not the ones where the cattle were allowed to graze. Nobody ever got sick that I recall.

Harlan, Wolfeboro Pioneer, class of 1957

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Giardia spores sink. Get your drinking water from a quiet pool or a lake if you want to decrease the faint possibility of contracting Giardia.
    Ralph,

Interesting, My dad always taught me to drink from the fast moving sections to avoid giardia. And I learn this on fathers day no less! I'm going to give him a hard time tonight when we go out to dinner, where we will probobly have a higher chance of catching something.

Jim

I always loved that picture of the coyote pissing in the stream.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

My take on this...........

Having been hospitalized multiple times for numerous lower GI problems when I was younger........I'll always, and will filter before drinking from any stream/water source.
    My memories of being hooked up to IV's, lying in hospitals, and having to decide on whether to sit or hug the bowl are still deeply etched into my mind.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Bob

Dying of dehydration next to a stream won't be happening...
    But, given the choice i'll pass on untreated water.
    I totally agree about over-protection Ralph.
    Used up my nine lives several decades ago.
    I ran with scissors,hiked, climbed, and dove solo.
    Ate things that were a funny color or were undefinable...
    Drove fast, braked late, and turned sharp.
    Of course, I've mellowed a bit.....I don't run with scissors anymore.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 06-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.