Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final analysis and county parks policy determination on spearfishing

Default Final analysis and county parks policy determination on spearfishing

First off....

I know many threads on this topic have been started and locked because they got ugly.

Whereas I am an ardent supporter of our constitutional rights, civil liberties, free speech, etc... I realize the importance of knowing when to shut up.

No offense meant here towards anyone.

I do think the comments suggesting violence towards spearos were way inappropriate and in fact went counter to the creed of a Libertarian like myself...

On the other hand, I am a huge fan of preserving our rights to healthy and sustainable fisheries (yes, even of the introduced species, Saxitilis morones or striped bass.

I believe in preserving populations of wild fish and managing towards that end but only on watersheds in which that is a viable option.... The native strains of salmonids on the American river are nearly, if not completely, extant so it seems logical to manage the fisheries for a balance of hatchery and native and naturalized fish.

I bring this up because it is a main focal point for spearfishermen defending their right to kill large, spawning, adult striped bass in fresh water and because the REAL enemy like; Westland water and ad-hoc committees like; the 'Coalition for a Sustainable Delta' who want to build large tunnels underground to send more water southward...

It is Jerry brown, Dianne Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, Stewart Resnick and other advocates of the 'Bay Delta Conservation Plan' (misnomer) whom we (hook and liners, fly guys/gals, gear guys/gals and yes EVEN SPEAROS) must unite against if we hope to keep healthy our delicate fisheries and their environs.

Having said all that (which has been said by so many for so long now over the years...) I will get to the point as indicated in my posting title.

I was refraining from posting in recent threads and from saying anything related to spearfishing on the American River in general because a local game warden had informed me that the 2 subjects whose gear was confiscated and who were fined for spearfishing in the AR Parkway, had had their citations thrown out in court thus indicating that the County of Sacramento had changed their mind about enforcing the ban on spearguns under the already-established Sacramento County Code section 9.36.060.

Of course all prior info (offered initially by me here and quickly spread to many other public forums and boards by others) indicated that the county ordinance was going to trump the new CDFW regulation.

When I heard that was not the case, I selfishly kept quiet on the topic hoping it would just be forgotten and that spearos would erroneously believe that the take of stripers in the American River via speargun was illegal.

Well, now IT AGAIN... IS UNDENIABLY AND UNEQUIVOCALLY ILLEGAL TO SPEARFISH ANYWHERE ON THE AMERICAN RIVER:

Read it yourself here in plain and simple and non-disputable legalese:

http://www.regionalparks.saccounty.n...on%20Final.pdf

I want to further state that I know many spearfisherman and all are sporting and solid conservationists. I have nothing against them at all and have a healthy respect for that method of take (on the fish's terms).

BUT, allowing spears in a clear-water migration route of large, cow striped bass, in an era when so many odds are against their survival... I could never condone it.

Allowing spearfishing in the American River would have encouraged poaching (namely, excessive and illegal bag limits) and since carrying a speargun and dive gear would be seen as more commonplace, this would make it much more difficult to ferret out the commercial-volume poachers from the legitimate, law-abiding spearos...

Unfortunately, the 'Department of Fish and Games' as we use it to call when I worked for the Dept years ago... is no longer the agency it once was. It feeds on bureaucracy and is a slave to the lobbyist and politician rather than a servant to the sportsman and sportswoman who buys its licenses...

CDFW could give a crap about stripers and without elaborating and having this thread placed on immediate lock-down... let's just say that THIS time, the stripers got lucky because human safety was at least more important than placating the politicians~

Thanks to all my fellow anglers and friends who take the time to speak up for the rights of fish and people~

Mark

Steelies,
    A beautifully written analysis of the daunting problems we face. I dought that this is the last time we see the ole " look the other way trick" when it comes to striper irradication. Money turns heads. Anybody got a couple billion they want to part with? We have a great cause!
    Enlightened, Randy

well said Mark

Scott

Sadly, three 40# plus stripers were speared and killed today (Sept. 7 2013) in the American River. This coming from a law enforcement officer who was not in the field today when it happened...

Moose

Join Date Jan 2005
    Posts 72

"You confuse rights with priviledges. You don't have the right to fish, it's a legislated priviledge, same goes the spear fishers. It can all be taken away and there's nothing you can do about it, aside from finding a way to change the minds of those who write the poicies. People love to talk about things they hold dearly as their rights. Look at the bill of rights, there you find the only ones allotted to you. And still, those are managed by men, even though they claim to be god given, and they've been ammended many times over.

Fish, water and open spaces are resources managed for many purposes, only a fraction of which is for sporting enjoyment. Sportsmen would be better served respecting each others desires and working together as a single large group rather than fighting amongst each other. Self important moral imperitaves won't save your dreams, only a unified front will.

The pumps kill infinitely more fish than spearfishers do, yet the pumps cannot be recruited as allies.
    Where to begin...

The rights/privileges thing is an exercise in syntax but I do understand where you are coming from.

I'm not in the mood for debate right now. And truth told, we're probably more alike than different both you and I and most spearos and myself.

I know there are as many gear, hook and line guys as there are speargunners who would kill a big striper without a thought.

I know that the percentage of anglers who catch multiple stripers (over 30# and even over 40#/50#) annually in the American River with fishing rods is pretty small.

There are those of us gear guys and fly guys who release them all.

Unfortunately, most anglers who catch one of these 'AR monsters' do it only once and as, to them, it is the "the fish of a lifetime" they are inclined to kill and keep their 'trophy'.

I have seen this over and over throughout the years...

On top of that, there are skilled poachers... those who know how to effectively target cow stripers and go out with the intention of killing large and multiple female bass.

Now for the spearos... just as in the hook and line populace, there are ethical and non-ethical members of their respective sport.

The greatest threat isn't with these folks who will spear within the confines of the regulations. Furthermore, many/most of them are informed and concerned about the importance of selective harvest and not harvesting large females...

It is the fact that poachers with spear guns are suddenly now 'invisible'

15 years ago or so, on successive mornings, I witnessed a guy in a red kayak walking out of El Manto with his 'yak and a spear gun. I called him in and was informed that he was a long time striped bass poacher who had always evaded game wardens and park rangers.

That same guy can now pull his yak (hold stuffed with stripers) up to a park access after a long night of illegal striper harvest and in most cases do so without raising suspicion.

I'm convinced that the greatest problem facing striped bass and all anadromous fish species, in the SJ/Sacramento Delta, is water diversion.

And for that reason, I have repeatedly gone to Capitol Hill to speak out against proposed legislation like AB1253 and AB2336 and why I drove to Rio Vista on a week night to attend the hearing of the CDFG (at the time) Commission when it proposed increasing the bag limits and reducing the size limits on striped bass take in California. It is why I have written countless letters and signed petitions ad-infinitum and why I peek in on these and other boards to see what people like Darian and Mike McKenzie, Dick Pool, and Dan Bacher have to say.

However, I'm equally convinced that the pumps do not kill large, aged, brood-stock, resident striped bass; PEOPLE DO.

Yes, I am emotional about the loss of a once-robust fishery and I am sad, experiencing the empirical evidence of its decline. In a time when cash is king and politics govern the mandates over our natural resources and specifically, our fisheries, it is time not only to band together as citizens protective of our natural resources and future opportunities to enjoy them but also to eliminate the obvious factors which undermine their sustainability.

The permission of Spear fishing in a clear water, low-flowing urban watershed like the American River seems to run counter to the wisdom of that sustainability.

My grievance is still not with the spearos but rather with the agencies involved whose foresight was sorely missing when these regulatory changes were enacted.

Ironically, the key agency; CDFW will also likely be the entity that thrusts the 'ESA monkey wrench' in to Governor Brown's and 'big-AG's' plan to build and employ the 23-billion dollar twin tunnels water diversion project, go figure.

Nothing is simple. Keep thinking, fishing, fighting and standing straight with your head up~

Respectfully,
    Mark

I wasn't trying to start a debate or be combative, but given the way the last couple of threads went, yours seemed like an attempt to reopen that ugly fight.

Not everyone feels like we have inalienable rights to the things we desire, that's all I was trying to say. That, and the fact that as long as we're fighting amongst ourselves the real enemy is sitting there laughing because we're doing the dirty work for them, fragmenting their opposition.

I believe it's posted now that spearfishing isn't allowed at the entrances, saw a sign the other day.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Still a grey area with spearing on the A. I bet next years regs it will be illegal though.

The link would not open for me... Is Spearfishing allowed or it a Grey area? Which is it?

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Alessio View Post
    The link would not open for me... Is Spearfishing allowed or it a Grey area? Which is it?
    Last I heard...
    Can't enter the water through the park/parkway. Can enter from the Sac and go upstream.