Thread: First Timer

Default First Timer

Yesterday, first timer Bill H. from Anchorage, AK who has never fished the salt water envior finally got into a fight with these two species. There were a lot of jacks and big roosters caught yesterday. The conditions seem to be changing. Some big dorado were seen but not chewing on flies. Although a small dorado was caught. For those coming next week and the weeks after, bring a windbreaker for the morning ride, it's been chilly.

Nice toro off the lighthouse.

A nice rooster weighing 35lbs. They're still around

The temperature range this weekend and the coming week in forecasted to be around 44 to 46 degrees - celcuis or 111 to 114. That's HOT !!!!

Jay

That is a nice fish for Bill. Hopefully the Alaskan boys are tuned in to the heat because it is hot here. This last week has been amazing with scorching summer days into the mid to high 70s. )

How many more weeks do you have Jay? I have been playing around with an articulated fly for next year which will give me some additional length and movement. Is Steve still there or has he left for Africa?

Steve just got back from the bahama's. He has the rest of this week and then he's headed home for a few days. All you need is tan/white flies

Jay

Here's a few more photo's from first timers, thanks to Mike S for the photo's

First timer from Mark H. from Anchorage, AK. This group is have a fantastic time pulling on fish.

Check out the size of this needle fish. I would say it's number two in the largest category. We've had one just a littler larger

Mike S from Anchorage, AK. This roosters is around 30#+. This is his 4 year being down here.

There was a dorado caught today, along with more big roosters and jacks. PHOTO"S???? Wish I had some.
    Today is the groups last day, a new group coming in tomorrow

Jay

Thumbs up Pez Gallooooo....

Nice Roosters/Jacks. How're the water temps these days??? Looks like a lot of fish from cooler waters.... That's one of the biggest Needlefish I've ever seen. Are they edible??? Is the bait situation still good for Sardina's???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    That's one of the biggest Needlefish I've ever seen. Are they edible???
    I've been told that they are tasty and cook-up White . Curious , considering that the flesh and bones are Blue/Green colored ...

We've hooked them on the beach to well over 5 feet long . None landed yet due to their uber-bony mouth .... some have RUN - like , 150 yard smoking-reel kind of runs ! They do fantastic vertical jumps , as well as Marlin-style greyhounding ..... very cool species !

D.~

Needle fish, called aha here in Hawaii, poor man's marlin, like to tail walk and are good fun on an 8wt. One trick I have found to catch them is really simple. They like to short strike and have trouble getting the hook in their mouth. I tie a small length of yarn on the shank of the hook, and the yarn gets tangled in their teeth. works like a charm. When you catch one next time yell, "Hanapaa, aha!"
    Mems.
    Don Memmer

Oh yeah, Darian we call them bluebones, you can eat them, they taste like barracuda. I like mahi and ahi and ono, tonight it is swordfish steaks with wasabi mayo and Italian bread crumbs. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Thumbs up Needles....

Aloha Don,.... What happens when I yell "Hanapaa, aha!!!"??? If Needles taste like Barracuda, I'm all over that. When I was growing up, my Dad liked to eat smoked Barries with beer while we watched the Saturday night fights. Smoked Barracuda is really good.

Needles get so numerous, sometimes that you can't get your fly down thru 'em to the good fish. When bringing one in, we usually de-hook 'em before they come over the gunwale. Unfortunately, they tend to strip all of the materials off the hook during the battle. Not worth it.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown