Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bifocal questions

I don't need any damn glasses. My arms are just too short!

( 1.5 readers)
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Hey MarkZ,

I was wondering what you ended up doing....?

Personally, I love my bifocal's......I have had progressives twice and supposedly top end ones.....couldn't stand them at all.....I have my bifocal set just a tad strong so the clearest distance is around where I hold my hands when tying on flies. You can just have your doctor make the strength right by telling him or showing him that distance. Before that I had a terrible time in the mornings and evenings. Also, there is nothing worse than having to change your glasses, take them off, put them on, flip them up, flip them down a million times a day.

I'm currently looking for some good wear over sunglasses.......thinking about trying those cocoon's......

I will throw my 2 cents in. Started with bifocals, but I do a lot of climbing of steep stairs and ladders (gangways on container ships climbing masts and walking on catwalks). The bifocals made me dizzy because I would look down and the magnification threw me off. Went to progressives and the first lenses were terrible. Sent them back right away. Then the doc made some adjustments for my focal points. When I got the second set of lenses I was like WOW this is great I can see! No more dizziness and I can see the dashboard or radio station and time while driving. When set up properly the progressives are perfect for me. My wife told me that she heard that you can get progressives in a contact lens now but I don't know if that is true for all eye / prescription types.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    I will throw my 2 cents in. Started with bifocals, but I do a lot of climbing of steep stairs and ladders (gangways on container ships climbing masts and walking on catwalks). The bifocals made me dizzy because I would look down and the magnification threw me off. Went to progressives and the first lenses were terrible. Sent them back right away. Then the doc made some adjustments for my focal points. When I got the second set of lenses I was like WOW this is great I can see! No more dizziness and I can see the dashboard or radio station and time while driving. When set up properly the progressives are perfect for me. My wife told me that she heard that you can get progressives in a contact lens now but I don't know if that is true for all eye / prescription types.
    Wow, I probably used most of these options at one time or other; progressives, clip-on magnifiers, bi-focal prescription sunglasses, expensive and cheap reading glasses ($1 at any 99 cent store). Prescription bi-focal sunglasses were the most convenience although my last set the outer coating started to delaminate after a few years. Currently, I just make due with my progressives without magnifiers - in most situations I have learned that I really did not need magnification once I gained confidence that with experience that my difficulties were not my sight but my technique (good lighting, bias cut your end of your tippet) and mental attitude (it was possible to thread the eye of #20-22 hooks if I just calmed down).

Quote Originally Posted by itsbenlong View Post
    Hey MarkZ,

I was wondering what you ended up doing....?

Personally, I love my bifocal's......I have had progressives twice and supposedly top end ones.....couldn't stand them at all.....I have my bifocal set just a tad strong so the clearest distance is around where I hold my hands when tying on flies. You can just have your doctor make the strength right by telling him or showing him that distance. Before that I had a terrible time in the mornings and evenings. Also, there is nothing worse than having to change your glasses, take them off, put them on, flip them up, flip them down a million times a day.

I'm currently looking for some good wear over sunglasses.......thinking about trying those cocoon's......
    I recently picked up a pair of Cocoons to replace my well used Fitovers, I prefer the Fitovers.

Hi,
    I've been delaying getting new glasses-denying that I'm getting old.

I have an appt in two weeks; so I'll let you know probably back in Jan 2014. I'm leaning toward progressives because my friend has them who doesn't fish but hikes/backpacks. He said it took him a couple of weeks to get used to them, but he's happy with them. He said hiking with them at first was hard to adjust looking at boulders at his feet when he was hiking, but had to adjust his eyes or the way he looked through the progressive lens while hiking.

I have the Walmart Fitovers. I tried the Cocoons but liked the feel from the Walmart Fitovers better. Walmart doesn't have them in all there Optics Dept.

Good Luck

Hi All,
    I got my progressive lens for my glasses, and I've been wearing them for two weeks. They are great.

Running on trails and looking forward or down at my feet, there was no sense of blurry vision.
    I can tie a clinch knot with 4lb line on a small hook eye, sometimes I tilted my head up to get better focus but not required.

I was told by my optometrist that starting from 50 until your 60 my reading prescription will change. He started me out with the weakest reading prescription but said the next prescription will be higher.

I'm glad I got the progressive lenses.

Also, you can get your glasses polarized and transition(changes darker with sunlight). But if your driving in a car the coating won't be activated since it reacts with UV light and your car window filter the UV out.

MarkZ
    Last edited by markz; 12-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.