Thread: Any hope for top water bass.

Default Any hope for top water bass.

I've been out of the state all week and came back to this cold weather. I was really hoping to throw a few top water bugs in the Delta this weekend. What do you think, is it worth going or has the weather killed any hope of a decent bite? What's it been like out there? Seems like pretty lousy weather for this point of season, I haven't been out for a few weeks but it was pretty slow then.

Tom

Water was very muddy thursday (maybe 1 foot) in Franks with a temp of 66. It warmed later in the day to 70 and started to clear a little east. Nothing happening on top for me. Originally went to put in at wimpy's and it was chocolate milk there. Ended up putting in and Herman and Helens caught 8 to #3 subsurface on windy points.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Question Topwater....

Was out Tuesday afternoon in Miner Slough. Very slow. Water temps were 69 to 70 degrees, water was clear. Much of the portion of Miner is flat bottomed and featureless. Whenever we crossed over into a hole, we marked fish on the fishfinder. No takers tho. Topwater produced a few blow-ups....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

May is Kevin Doran's favorite month for top water LMB in the Delta.

I would be sure to be out there early and late in the day for some good action, especially in this hot weather.

Some of us were very lucky to be able to get out a few times with Kevin before he quit guiding.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks folks for the comments. I did get out briefly yesterday and despite not having a lot to report I still feel like I should let you know how it went. I have a small boat with a 6hp outboard but when I only have a few hours to fish (which is usually the case) I throw my float tube in the back of my car and head to a nearby small slough I like. So I launched my tube about 4pm and within minutes I land a ~1.5 lb fish that hit a 4" rabbit strip slider. Good sign I thought, so I keep pounding the shore cover for an hour with no more hits. About 5:00 the gale wind starts. It was nasty. I paddled back to my car for the next half hour tossing a deer hair popper as I went, barely making any headway, before packing it in. So pretty slow, but I wasn't at it very long. I guess I'm an optimist, I'm sure if the wind cooperated and I had more time on the water I would have done great...