Thread: Sight Fishing Davis

Default Sight Fishing Davis

Last Sunday 5/19/13 my good friend “Big Dave” Millhollin who is an excellent stillwater angler and I had a fantastic time sight fishing Lake Davis. The fish were feeding in two feet of water at a place we call "Clay Flats" on a sparse number of swimming damsel nymphs (naiads) and callibaetis nymphs. We were using a technique I developed decades ago for the spooky line shy Davis fish calledI call “peek a boo” style. This style requires keen eyesight for cruising fish. A stealth low profile is very essential, staying out of their “cone of vision”. We stalk the fish then try to present the fly well in front of them without being detected. Long leaders from 20 to 25 ft. will help the success rate. The takes can sometimes be very subtle, so concentration is paramount. Look for the “wink” or a slight hesitation in the fish’s movement when setting the hook. This is perhaps my favorite style to fish stillwaters.
    For more information techniques and strategies for Lake Davis go to www.flyfishwithdon.com

Tight lines,
    Doug O.

Right on Doug! Sounds just like my article I wrote in the new May/June California Fly Fisher magazine "Stalking Still Water Trout". I would much rather catch a few fish off the bank in skinny water than dozens with an indicator; It's so much fun! Try small crayfish patterns on the mud flats, that's what those trout really want! Good luck, see you out there!
    Last edited by Troutstalker55B; 05-21-2013 at 06:00 AM.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Yea, there were tons of crayfish claws on the shoreline. They were eaten by birds but as you know the trout love them as well. One of the best colors at Davis is burnt orange. I'll check out your article on "Stalking Still Water Trout". Your reports are great stuff!
    Doug O. www.truckeeriverflyfishing.com blog -www.calvadaflyfishing.com

Jon,
    I got the May/ June issue on Sat. but was busy guiding. I just read your article "Stalking Stillwater Trout" in the California Fly Fisher Magazine. That is an outstanding article! Very complete. Very well done! I will definitely share it with other anglers. Your information is spot on. Back in the 1970's and 80's I always told flyfishers to get out of their prams and wade the shoreline. Most of them didn't listen. I have a bunch of old pics wearing "seal dri" waders on the shores of Davis. Thank you for awesome article. I for one appreciate it.
    Doug O.

Old Jay Fair use to love to guide his clients wadding off the west shore points.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jay is a great guy, and true angler.