Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Vehicle do you have/use?

Default What Vehicle do you have/use?

I am looking to get a used fishing rig - old school that I can beat the hell out of and not worry if I scratch it up. I like to go backpacking for Sierra Trout and go for Steelhead in the winters on the coast. Mostly car top my pram & canoe. Narrowed down my choices to the following - Gas mileage not a real concern. Love to hear what some of you all roll in when you're headed out to get some other ideas. Highlander does not cut it for me.

1982-1987 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60

1995-1997 Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80

2002-2005 Toyota Tundra Access Cab

1988-1989 or 2002 4Runner
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

2000 BMW 323i with racks.

My fave (and kinda looking myself) is the 1997 Landcruiser. Tough as hell with considerable creature comforts and if you don't mind replacing a head gasket every so often, that in-line six is a hell of a motor. The later V8's get great reviews for toughness - but I thought they screwed up the looks. Love the FJ60's, but finding one in decent shape is not easy anymore.

I drive a '99 F150 now with one of those bed tents for over-nighters and have a Honda Ridgeline which is goofy looking, yes....but remarkably tough (203K on it now) and really comfortable to drive...but the bed is too short to sleep in. Runs like the day I bought it.

If I was a bit braver, I'd love to have a '95 Range Rover Country LWB...just a bit too much in the restore/upkeep department for my pocketbook.

Thanks Bonneville. That one is tops on my list I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bonneville54 View Post
    My fave (and kinda looking myself) is the 1997 Landcruiser. Tough as hell with considerable creature comforts and if you don't mind replacing a head gasket every so often, that in-line six is a hell of a motor. The later V8's get great reviews for toughness - but I thought they screwed up the looks. Love the FJ60's, but finding one in decent shape is not easy anymore.

I drive a '99 F150 now with one of those bed tents for over-nighters and have a Honda Ridgeline which is goofy looking, yes....but remarkably tough (203K on it now) and really comfortable to drive...but the bed is too short to sleep in. Runs like the day I bought it.

If I was a bit braver, I'd love to have a '95 Range Rover Country LWB...just a bit too much in the restore/upkeep department for my pocketbook.

-William Shakespeare

I'm runnin a 2002 4Runner Limited Edition. You can never go wrong with a Toyota. Can't beat the reliability factor and Toyota's are wheelin machines.

Except for Highlanders!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    I'm runnin a 2002 4Runner Limited Edition. You can never go wrong with a Toyota. Can't beat the reliability factor and Toyota's are wheelin machines.

-William Shakespeare

Mike O Guest

1996 Ford Explorer. Runs great, great on the trail. Only vehicle I want for fishing more, 1968 International Scout. dem dudes go everywhere.

Ive got the original 02 tundra access cab. Had 9mi on it when I drove it off the showroom. Its got well over 100k on it and its still a tank. I have a canopy on it. Ive done lotsa trips with it and lots of trips with other SUVs. The #1 reason I like my set up is you are not sharing air space with wet, dank, moldy, stinky fishing/camping gear. Everyone who does a lot of road trips knows that if you are campin, fishin and runnin all over creation, things get "ripe". Its aweful nice to not be breathng that while you motor 6 hours to your next location. Also, theres a million ways to trick out the inside of your canopy and a simple rack on top does great for toons and prams. It is also GREAT for secure, quick, comfortable camping in the bed.

Toyota Yaris with racks for my kayak. But I plan to get a new Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a shell in the next year so I can reach some places that require 4x4 or high clearance. I will miss the great gas mileage I get with my Yaris though.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

1993-1/2 Infiniti G20 with racing suspension and "less than ideal" ground clearance. If it fits on the rack, it goes!

What I rally need is a Subie Forester with an STi WRX engine!

_SHig