Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I fish with Jay Murakoshi

Default Why I fish with Jay Murakoshi

Those that know him already know what a great guy Jay is. So this is nothing new to you. For those of you who have never been to Baja and are considering a week chasing roosters and dorado, this is why you should consider booking through Jay. I'm not putting down the other outfitters that fish the Las Arenas area. I'm sure they are good as well based on reports I have read. I just don't have any experience using their services.

Yesterday, the day before I was scheduled to leave Savannah, Ga. for my annual trip to Baja, I received word that my Father had died. Knowing that his funeral would be held during my first week in Baja, I immediately emailed Jay and explained why I would be unable to arrive as scheduled. Like the fool I can sometimes be, I had not purchased any type of trip insurance (a discussion for another time.)

Jay's response: "Richard, get your airline reservations changed, and I'll take care of the rest." And he did. I was able to move my arrival into Baja back by a week and Jay was able to arrange for a Captain, a room change and alternative transportation from Cabo to La Paz. Not once was there a mention of Trip Cancellation Policies. That, in my opinion, is going above and beyond what is required.

Jay, being the humble guy that he is, will probably not approve of my posting this. But I don't care. He'll forgive me, hopefully, when I buy him dinner at Rancho Viejo or Jonathan's. Hell, I might even let him have the bow of the panga if he decides to go fishing with me.

Thanks again, Jay. This is why I fish with you.
    Last edited by Richard Wright; 05-17-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Well said Richard. My condolences with your loss, a hard one I am sure having lost my Pops. Does your change put us in our week (May 26)? If so, we can help out too with boats as one guy in my group has never flyfished, and may not fish every day. Jay knows about this, and really accommodated us as well due to three weeks ago we were a three-some and then changed it to adding my friend that just wants to get out of this icebox (snowing today and tomorrow) and go see what we do to flyfish in Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy_AK View Post
    Well said Richard. My condolences with your loss, a hard one I am sure having lost my Pops. Does your change put us in our week (May 26)? If so, we can help out too with boats as one guy in my group has never flyfished, and may not fish every day. Jay knows about this, and really accommodated us as well due to three weeks ago we were a three-some and then changed it to adding my friend that just wants to get out of this icebox (snowing today and tomorrow) and go see what we do to flyfish in Mexico.
    Flyboy, thanks for the kind words concerning my Dad. He had been ill for a while and we were expecting and prepared for this. He kind of did me a favor by going when he did. It would have been a nightmare had he passed while I was in Baja, trying to get back and all. I know he'll be looking down at me smiling and hoping I get that elusive 100 pound rooster.
    Yes, I arrive in Baja on May 25 for a two week stint. The first week is no problem as it was my originally scheduled 2nd week. I'm teamed up with Steve Reem and am really looking forward to fishing with Steve again. The difficulty was with my now new 2nd week. I've decided it best to go ahead and pay the additional Captain's fee for that week. It's only fair. Heck, even by so doing, Baja is still such a bargain that it is well worth the cost to me. Jay has offered to fish a day or two with me to help with the cost, but I've decided that if he buys bait, the fishing is on me.
    Again, thanks for the offer and I look forward to meeting you and your group.

Richard

Jay is a very close friend of mine and my wife Marilyn too.

I was lucky to have been able to go on one of his trips to La Paz too.

I guess we baby boomers have some good qualities.

Probably because we were raised by the Greatest Generation?

Jay does this because he loves it.....

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Richard, sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. I lost mine on Valentines day- he was 93. I fish because of him. Jay and Steve told us what happened. Jay brought out his lunch at 4:30 am and made sure we gave it to Efren and Israel. He takes care of his captains, drivers, and clients. I really appreciate all Jay does to make this a smooth running machine; he has this down to a science. I thought about taking your place next week but could just not pull it off. Six days of fishing here is not enough for me. I am doing the first three weeks here next year with Steve and Joan. They have become good friends as has my buddy Vernon and I met them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wright View Post
    The difficulty was with my now new 2nd week. I've decided it best to go ahead and pay the additional Captain's fee for that week. It's only fair. Heck, even by so doing, Baja is still such a bargain that it is well worth the cost to me. Jay has offered to fish a day or two with me to help with the cost, but I've decided that if he buys bait, the fishing is on me.
    Again, thanks for the offer and I look forward to meeting you and your group.

Richard
    Well you won't be buying yourself many drinks when I am around there Richard. Steve is great (Joan too). Look forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene retired View Post
    Jay does this because he loves it......
    Very true words.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy_AK View Post
    Well you won't be buying yourself many drinks when I am around there Richard. Steve is great (Joan too). Look forward to it.
    Well, that will certainly ease the pain and any additional costs I might incur. You might regret making that offer. Steve knows as does Jay that I have a fondness for Pacifico and Negro Modelo. You might regret your offer. Looking forward to meeting you and having you take care of my bar tab. It's going to be a great time, and I am looking forward to talking with you about Alaska and (I believe) Christmas Island where Steve and I are planning on going together next February.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wright View Post
    Well, that will certainly ease the pain and any additional costs I might incur. You might regret making that offer. Steve knows as does Jay that I have a fondness for Pacifico and Negro Modelo. You might regret your offer. Looking forward to meeting you and having you take care of my bar tab. It's going to be a great time, and I am looking forward to talking with you about Alaska and (I believe) Christmas Island where Steve and I are planning on going together next February.
    I am a man of my word. Pacifico and Negro Modelo won't break me.... whew! Now if you were a Patron Gold or Don Julio addict!!.... would still back up my promise. No problemo on CI intel. Steve has had that request in for a while. Reminds me, going to pack some flies for show and tell.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I try to run a smooth operation but sometimes things happen. Like this week, I had a little problem with a captain and got a couple complaints, so mid week, I had to make a captain change. I feel bad but I need to keep clients happy as much as possible.
    You know not many people purchase travel insurance, me for one. But if something like a death in the family occurs, I try to do my best to make arrangements to reschedule to another week. Sometimes the client will have to forgo some money. For instance, I don't like putting the full cost of a captain on a guys partner who has to cancel. So some times I will cover some of the cost by fishing with the person a couple days and take money out of my own pocket to help offset the cost. Or if a person can change weeks, they usually won't lose money if there is a single fishermen in that week.
    Anyway, I try to do my best.

See you guys in a couple weeks, hopefully with some dorado around

Jay