Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Mud Snail in the Truckee Rv.

Default New Zealand Mud Snail in the Truckee Rv.

It has just come to my attention that the New Zealand Mud Snail has been found in the Truckee River. Check out this link for more info.
    http://www.rgj.com/article/20130514/...nclick_check=1
    DougO
    Last edited by Doug O; 05-15-2013 at 09:40 PM.

this sucks
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Dan,
    Total bummer on the NZ mud snail.
    On a better note: I just read your article in California Fly Fisher " At The Vise" on your Scuba Caddis. Sick pattern! Very nice article.
    I'll have to twist a few up. Thanks for sharing. Nice blog site! I'll put a link on www.truckeeriverflyfishing.com
    Doug O.

I'm not so sure the NZMS is going to be a long-term game changer on the Truckee. I freaked out when they first appeared in the states, but watching their evolution here it seems they typically roar into the ecosystem, wreak havoc, then over shoot their biological carrying capacity then devolve and become just one in another of many background noises. Fingers crossed.

Thank you Ralph

Thanks for the heads up. Wish I'd known earlier even if it was just a warning of the possibility.

I have a very limited knowledge of these things but from what I've read the snails compete with all the other bugs in the ecosystem for the same food and generally push them out until by sheer force of numbers. Fish also start eating them which isn't good if you are trying to catch trout on a fly....I haven't seen the "snail fly" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I have a very limited knowledge of these things but from what I've read the snails compete with all the other bugs in the ecosystem for the same food and generally push them out until by sheer force of numbers. Fish also start eating them which isn't good if you are trying to catch trout on a fly....I haven't seen the "snail fly" yet.

Here is a variation

Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Yup, then you've never fished Davis in its heyday. It'd be interesting to dead drift a snail under an indi for fat rattling trout!

_SHig

Snail flies in Davis were rad. Haven't quite hit it like the old days before they killed the lake. I think they might take a little longer to re-establish compared to other macro invertebrates.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/