Thread: Setup recommendations for Shad

Default Setup recommendations for Shad

All,

I'm new to the shad game, but would like to get more into it as I just got my new Scadden Renegade!! Anyway, what type of line setup would you recommend for this noob? I'd rather not throw down on a bunch of spools if it's not necessary. I know they have the interchangable tip lines - is that what you pros use?? I have a 7wt 9' BVK and a Scott S3 6wt 9' - was thinking they should be fine?

Thanks for your help and Tight Lines

Eric

Eric,

I fish a Sage Z-Axis switch rod with two different lines. If I am casting single hand I like a 420 grian intergrated shooting head. For double hand I use a 425 Rio Short Skaget with light Mows. I like the the 2.5 float 7.5 sink. It's a great all around setup. If I go to a versileader I like the 10 foot type 4. It gives me flexiableity to fish deep or shallow by adjusting my cast.

if you like any more info I can send you some of the setups via email.

Thanks - and get out there - the shad have been screaming!!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Red face

Hi, Eric. Depending on water velocity and depth you will change the line sink rate to achieve the depth at which the shad are holding. Shad are higher up in the water column during low light, often found in the early morning or evening. Bright hours often cause the shad to sit closer to the river bottom and require a deeper presentation. 30 ft shooting heads attached to a shooting line by a loop to loop connection are traditional lines for shad fishing. The heads come in different grain weights depending on the rod weight. If you have a seven weight, you would buy an 8 weight head unless you had a stiff rod, in which case you would buy a #9 to load the rod more. They come in different sink rates. In shallow or slow water you can use a 10 or 15 foot sinking leader which comes in different sink rates similar to the 30ft heads. Being short, they do not sink or track as deep as the 30 ft heads. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Andy Guibord; 05-15-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: misspellings

I use a 7 weight with shooting heads. I carry an intermediate type 2, 3, and 4. Right now I am using either the type 2 or 3, with shooting heads you can change them out in a minute. Best way to go in my opinion.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

7 wt is the general consensus for the ideal rod, and i agree, but I have gone as light as 5. Regardless of that, the most important thing by far is being able to switch depth. As people have noted, they tend to move in the water column based on light/time of day. On a river like the A, flows can change drastically year to year and depending on what they do with the release flows, so you really need to be fluid. Changeable heads are probably they way to go if you ask me, but there was a year i broke my 7wt early on and didn't have the funds to immediately replace it, so i fished my 5 wt with a sinkline w/ 250 gr 25ft tip and adjusted with split shot as needed and actually did fairly well.

I got my brother a Sage Response #7 10' single hand rod. Konic II #4 reel. And for line I got him the versi tip system and also added a 12.5' T-8 MOW tip. He caught 5 shad last night and could not be happier. I showed him how to cast and on the second cast hooked a nice 4 lbs hen. Ya its up there in price but to have the capability to change tips from floating to T-8 sink tips to accommodate different water depths or fast to slow water you can not beat it.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Thanks guys - some solid advice as usual. I will mull and let you know. That being said, me and my BVK 7wt are heading out tonight!! One shad is all I ask. One damn Shad!!!!

One more thing to bear in mind is that when fishing in a line-up, and for shad we do that a lot, to use a shooting/running line that sinks. When you cast out with a floater it blocks the fishers just downstream of you from casting until your line swings all the way in. When everyone is using a sinking set-up you can cast pretty much at will without worrying about anyone else's line. Now and again you will catch someone else's line and they yours but that's accepted as just the way it is. Like Scott V. I use amnesia monofilament for a shooting line, it casts very well and dips under the surface immediately. You have to stretch it first to help get rid of the 'coil memory'. Good luck E. Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.