Thread: Christmas Island

Default Christmas Island

Aloha, I went to Christmas Island with a group of flyguys from Oregon. We stayed at Shark's place and fished with guides Biita and Moana.

We targeted bones and Ulua, GT's. It was pretty insane fishing. Lots of broken rods, 6 and lost lines 12.

A treat for me was gettin this nice Golden Trevally. They are very smart and it is like catching permit. I didn't get one last time there, but was rewarded with this nice one, great fight, took a small crab.

Moana guided me to this GT, he is like Yoda on the flats, knows all the fish personally. He was the first guide on CI with Bob Neuheim as his first client.

The GT's are such fierce fish. The new guys were blown away with how strong they were.

Couldn't get enough of them, they left you with bruises and sore arms, but nice smiles!

Got some nice bones as well.

This one broke my 6wt when Biita let it run between my legs. I got nutmegged and the rod exploded.

This was my largest GT of the trip, about 80lbs, had to chase it down with the boat. It was a tough mother.

Can't wait to get back again! Mems
    Don Memmer

Wow, hope I make it there some day.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Thumbs up X-mas Island....

Aloha Don,.... You're rapidly becoming the GT master. Great photo's and fish. Hard to imagine landing an 80 pound GT on a fly rod (even a 14 weight). I'm envious.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I think everyone should get this on their bucket list. Back in the '80s and 90s I was very lucky to have been able to go there 13 times.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Youre my hero Don! Just amazing! I gotta do that!

Mahalo Guys for all the positive comments. Darian, I got the 80lber on a TFO 12wt. I used the 14 on the last day. There were a couple of 100lb'rs around. I turned down one the day after the 80, I was still sore in the stomach, no fighting butt. I pulled the fly out of his mouth and the guides all cracked up. I got that 50lber with the 14 and whipped him pretty quickly. I had a big boy come in and eat an 8lb bonefish in shallow water. I was fishing an 8wt TFO at the time. It was a wild upgrade, but it cut the 15lb leader pretty quickly. We did poorly offshore. The best day was the first day when one group got 5 ono with 2 on the fly. Largest was 50lbs. Highlight of the trip was some of the guys fishing offshore for milkfish. I told them they were impossible and a waste of time, but my friend Doug finally landed one after a reel froze and he jumped in the water, tied on another flyline to the rod and fought the fish for 30 minutes. They got it all on the gopro and I will post a link when they get it up on youtube. It was a crazy week with 40year olds acting and drinking like they were 15 all over again. My crab story was hilarious as well. You will need to get a couple of shots of Patron in me to get that one out. I hope you all get there one day. I will work on posting the Palmyra story and pictures, that place was insane with GT's and sharks. Right now I am passing a couple of kidney stones and thankful for heavy painkillers. I am glad all the guys are doing well down in baja. I think a GT and a Jack crevalle are pretty close in fighting ability, just the GT's are bigger and stronger. Time to go pop another roxicet, Mems.
    Don Memmer

Don, this is one of the most outstanding photo essays / trip reports I've ever seen posted on a fishing forum. Watching a huge GT come in and eat an 8 lb bone off your line? I can't imagine what that must have been like!

I've been a lurker here for a long time and have learned a lot. I must say I appreciate the help you have provided to people new (and relatively new) to the Hawai'i fishing scene, myself included. You're a class act and a great example of Aloha. Thanks for posting these awesome photos.

Mahalo Mingo, let me know when you are in Kona again, we can chase some big bones at A bay!
    Don Memmer

That sounds awesome to me, thanks Don!