Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring Wings

had a SPECTACULAR day of birding on my little 5 acres of heaven. I encountered many first time species for me. I wish I coulda got some quality shots. Most are just what I call "positive ID shots". But I'm really excited as the diversity this spring is WAY better than last year!

The common and somewhat cooperative Yellow rumped Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Wilsons Warbler

Chestnut sided Warbler

Black throated Green Warbler

Magnolia Warbler

unidentified warbler. Vireo possibly?

White eyed Vireo

House wren

Oven bird

Stumbled over this on one of the circuits around my trail

Along with these I saw...

Cardinals
    Multi species sparrows
    gold finches
    purple finches
    Eastern phoebe
    robins
    chickadees
    Grosebeaks
    crows
    red tail hawks
    coopers hawk
    2 bald eagles (adult and juvi circled right over my roof)
    mourning doves
    red winged blackbirds
    brown headed cowbird
    grey catbird
    baltimore oriole
    red breasted nuthatch
    white breasted nuthatch
    downy wp
    hairy wp
    red bellied wp
    piliated wp

I know Im missing some...

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

That's a pretty impressive list (and photos) for a morning stroll. Don't ya' just love those little olive birds? The great blue heron nest over by the lake I walk around has a new baby in it. Plus, saw a bullocks oriole which for this open brush land country is pretty uncommon. I need t start carrying a camera.

Here's a couple backyard shots from the last two days. First, there are lots of muley's wandering around here and they impact what you decide to plant around your yards. This doe had twins, the other one was farther out under another tree.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muley with fawn.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	7358

Wife and I were sitting eating dinner tonight and saw this fellow fly up and land in the dead juniper out back. They have used a nest in a big juniper out there for the last couple years but we hadn't seen them in awhile. Great to see this one back again. Not the sharpest photos but best my little point & shoot can do.

Name:	great horned owl.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	7359

Jbird,

Beautiful photos as usual. Loving the warblers and jealous of the diversity of species. I think the bird you questioned as a song sparrow may actually be a fox sparrow. Tell me what you think. Thanks again for all your posts
    "If one really loves nature, one can find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh

Doug. Thats very cool to see a GHO in broad daylight!! Jealous!

Kok. You are spot on. Someone set me straight on that earlier.

I still have incredible bird diversity on my property. Much more than last summer for some reason. Its just so hard to shoot them when the foliage is mid-summer dense. And the bugs are of biblical proportions right now. I'll get back to it this fall.

Jay, There is a very good free app by Roger Troy Peterson that let's you build your own bird list.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Default DLJeff, Question for Ya....

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Here's a couple backyard shots from the last two days. First, there are lots of muley's wandering around here and they impact what you decide to plant around your yards. This doe had twins, the other one was farther out under another tree.

Name:	muley with fawn.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	7358
    Wife and I were sitting eating dinner tonight and saw this fellow fly up and land in the dead juniper out back. They have used a nest in a big juniper out there for the last couple years but we hadn't seen them in awhile. Great to see this one back again. Not the sharpest photos but best my little point & shoot can do.

Name:	great horned owl.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	7359
    Benicia isn't known for sage brush and junipers or mule deer, I'm guessing from the picts above, you're back in Colorado for a visit?
    Why did ya' ever leave?

Mike

Ha, no Mike, we moved to Redmond, Oregon in May. Always thought we'd end up back in Colorado but found a place up here that has just about everything we wanted, plus it's only an 8 hour drive down to the daughter's, etc. I can be on the Deschutes riding my bicycle in 5 minutes. The high desert is a pretty cool place with it's own ecology.

Default Thanks for the claricification...

Quote Originally Posted by DLJeff View Post
    Ha, no Mike, we moved to Redmond, Oregon in May. Always thought we'd end up back in Colorado but found a place up here that has just about everything we wanted, plus it's only an 8 hour drive down to the daughter's, etc. I can be on the Deschutes riding my bicycle in 5 minutes. The high desert is a pretty cool place with it's own ecology.
    I'm old and get confused pretty easily anymore.. I was fooled by your location listed in your header. I knew that those weren't Benicia picts but they sure fit Redmond! Or pretty much anywhere else in the Great Basin country!
    We were lookin' to move up to central OR. 8 or 9 years ago. We were lookin' everywhere from Sisters to Prineville but ended up stayin' here trapped by Grandkids! Some day maybe again..

Mike

Fixed........