Thread: May day report

Default May day report

Here's a short May Day report (May 1st). The roosters are still in the eating mood and the some jacks are starting to join in. The dorado are still hit and miss but today I took the water temperature, 77 degrees still a little cold for them.
    Back to yesterday, got bait at the island and then Steve headed to the north end of the island to see if the yellow tail were still in the area. Nada..... So they loaded up with more bait and headed to the light house for the pez gallo. It took a little time to wake up the roosters in the hen house.
    Steve's rooster was 30lbs and Joan's weighed in at 25lb all on a IGFA certified scale. Muertos is loaded with the small roosters

Here's yesterday's photo's

May 2nd report

I went fishing with Steve this morning, Joan came down with something last night and had a temperature so she decided to stay home and rest. Well according to the wind reports it was suppose to be calm in the morning and then pick up from the North later in the morning. Correct forecast. At the end of the day it was around 12 mph. But the early morning was flat all the way across to the island. The bait was a little north but a short drive. Like I mentioned before the bait situation is 200% better than last year.
    After we got bait, we headed to the lighthouse for the roosters. After a 20 minute ride we pulled in and fished about 20 minutes with no eating roosters. So we headed to Ranchito and found the rooster awake and eating. Big boils all around. First cast to the boil and I had a rooster eat BUT as I was watching him swim away with the fly, I realized it had the fly in the mouth and I set the hook, the fish had spit the hook. Damn, missed the first fish of the day.. Moved a little further south to another area the roosters started busting the waters again. First cast, right on top of the school, FISH ON!!!! Hooked into a 5lber (what I thought). Once it realized it was hooked, it took line and deep into my backing. By this time it was 150 yards out into the blue. This little 5lber was putting a hell of a bend in a Reddington Preditor 10wt. 5 minutes later the fish was at the boat, it wasn't a 5lb fish, on the boag it was 16lbs. We had roosters all day but not a lot of eaters or at least for us. Towards the end of the day, Steve and I had a big school eating bait like mad, made cast after cast - had a lot of followers but no eats.
    OH YEAH, Efren also had a pretty good size rooster but farmed it after 5 minutes of fighting the fish

So far it's been a great week and should get better as the weeks go. The only problem I see is that there will be more boats on the water in the coming weeks which could put the fish down real quick.
    For those of you who had email me wanting to book a week in June, I have space available but you'll need a partner to help cover the cost of a second fisherman. Remember everything is based on double occupancy.

Damn, I love this job

Jay

Get well quick Joan. You can wup 'em all.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

I'm sure glad you kept that ugly mug of yours covered up.

Today's report.......Nada, zilch, "0"... Pretty tough fishing for all of us. even the conventional boys had trouble catching fish. They had empty coolers today
    Must of been the heavy north winds yesterday afternoon and evening. Today was calm until 11:00am then the south breeze came up which could be good. Brings warmer water and hopefully some dorado.
    The water temperature was 77 yesterday and 74 today. Needs to be around 81 for the dorado bite to happen.
    I'm going to start posting weekly instead of daily starting next week. Want to keep enough board space

Just think, I get to sleep in tomorrow until 6am
    jay

Jay